Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   new tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-tank-336826/)

jay0884 01-22-2014 06:52 PM

new tank

Okay well after my failed attempt with my 35 gallon hexagon tank that I am blaming on bad silicone used to reseal my tank I have purchased a new 29 gallon tank. This time I want to cycle my tank the proper way as opposed to using vialed bacteria. So I set up my tank. Decor and everything. I went to ace hardware store and picked up ammonia. I accidentally added too much not knowing so little was needed to get to 4ppm. It was actually around 8 so I did some water changes and got it down to about 3ppm. I cranked up the heater to 86 degrees. Got my bubbler going, hob filter crashing water down, and circulation pump going for aeration. Tomorrow I will be getting a used filter pad. Anything I'm missing?? And how often should I test my water parameters? Thanks in advance.

henningc 01-22-2014 07:13 PM

I'd do a little more water change before adding seeded filter material. Keep testing and changing water. Relax, take your time and enjoy the results later.

jay0884 01-22-2014 07:49 PM

Okay so don't use the filter pad right now?? How long should I wait until I put that in?

Hallyx 01-24-2014 07:52 AM

This used filter pad is full of nitrifying bacteria, right? Put it into your filter immediately and don't let it dry out.

Opinions vary about how high to dose ammonia. Some say as little as 1.0 or 2.0ppm. I've cycled quickly at 6.0ppm. It really depends on ho heavily you intend to stock the tank initially. For a large community or a couple of schools, >4.0ppm might be about right. For only few fish or a small school only 2.0ppm might be needed. Somewhere between 2.0ppm and 4.0ppm ought to be about right.

Your other techniques are spot on. Warm, strong current, highly-oxygenated water. Keeping the tank dark helps a little.

I have to ask. What have you got against live bottled bacteria?

jay0884 01-24-2014 08:06 AM

Absolutely nothing. I in fact used a bottled bacteria on my first tank I had a post on it. 35 gallon hex. But the guy that resealed my tank used bad silicone that started to come apart and killed my fish. I'm assuming my fish ate it since they were little strands floating in the water. Someone in here suggested it may have been the bottled bacteria which I disagree but decided to go without this time around just to be safe.

Hallyx 01-24-2014 08:32 AM

Oww.... That's tough. I understand fully.

You'll get a feel for classical cycling technique. That's good. I see you have another thread to keep us apprised of your progress. I'm all eyes.

jay0884 01-24-2014 08:47 AM

Could you please take a look at that other post and give me your opinion. Just updated my water parameters.