Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Mystery Plant 3 (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/mystery-plant-3-a-33627/)

fish999 12-10-2009 02:18 PM

Mystery Plant 3

1 Attachment(s)
This is some form of Vallisneria, judging by the roots and runners. I got a total of 21 plants stuffed into a tiny little plastic pot with no name on it. I'm hoping it's some form of dwarf val, but it may have been stunted by crowding in the pot. Longest leaf is approximately 8" and they are narrow leaves, and stiff.

MYSTERY PLANT 3

Byron 12-10-2009 04:06 PM

As the leaves are straight and not twisted even slightly, it is not the dwarf forms [Vallisneria americana and V. tortifolia] nor obviously the corkscrew [V. asiatica]. It is either V. gigantea or V. spiralis, both of which have straight leaves, the latter to 24 inches and the former to 39 inches.

A very similar looking plant is Sagitarria platyphylla, leaves to 8 inches. I mention this because it is near identical to your photo plant, at least from photos of each. I'm leaning towards vallisneria, but not with absolute certainty.

Byron.

fish999 12-10-2009 04:55 PM

Thanks Byron. I wanted to add there is something subtly different about the way the leaves come out of the base. Almost a fan arrangement as opposed to the more rounded look I'm used to with the corkscrew val in the other tank. Young shoots don't look the same either, they also have a fan shape. I hope it is a smaller plant! I used them as foreground hoping they would only grow to 8" ... we will see what they are after a while I guess.

Byron 12-10-2009 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish999 (Post 287914)
Thanks Byron. I wanted to add there is something subtly different about the way the leaves come out of the base. Almost a fan arrangement as opposed to the more rounded look I'm used to with the corkscrew val in the other tank. Young shoots don't look the same either, they also have a fan shape. I hope it is a smaller plant! I used them as foreground hoping they would only grow to 8" ... we will see what they are after a while I guess.

Then it might be Sagitarria. I have a couple species of Sag and the leaves are stiff on the larger one (that looks much like your plant). B.

Angel079 12-10-2009 07:00 PM

I actually think its Sagitarria, because of the ticker looking leaves, Vallis would be thinner. Plus it looks a AWFUL lot like the Sagitarria sitting in the tank behind me right now... :-)

Angel079 12-10-2009 07:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I cut my Sagitarria plants outta some photo's from my 10&55g tank...compare yourself :-)

Angel079 12-10-2009 07:04 PM

...now why did these pic's get so pixely !? I donno sorry man...hope you can see well enough

fish999 12-10-2009 10:45 PM

Yes I can see well enough. It does look like the ones I posted. there's that subtle difference in the way the leaves sprout, the sag seems to sprout leaves slightly higher up and more in a fan. Yep it looks like a sag. Now i guess I'll keep my fingers crossed it is a small variety and isn't a 32 foot long Sagitaria Anacondus or something... :)

Angel079 12-10-2009 11:17 PM

Well I bought mine as "dwarf" which I am truthfully wondering about the definition of dwarf really cause its past 5" by now and does not appear to wanting to STOP growing...I do like how it built runners fairly quick thou, that ought to fill my "deck corner" in the 5g nicely.