Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   help the Noob (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/help-noob-33624/)

Mattkelsey 12-10-2009 03:05 PM

help the Noob

I just bought a 33 gal tank i have filled it and set the tank all up i added the chems that came with the kit i gonna
buy tomorrow tetra safe start so i can add some zebra neon am i on the right track so far my tanks looks dirty probably cause i used sand then gravel

Hawkian 12-10-2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattkelsey (Post 287838)
I just bought a 33 gal tank i have filled it and set the tank all up i added the chems that came with the kit i gonna
buy tomorrow tetra safe start so i can add some zebra neon am i on the right track so far my tanks looks dirty probably cause i used sand then gravel

Well for one, welcome to the forum!

It is hard to know if you're on the right track with so little information so there are some questions I will ask and some you will need to think about :-).

How long has the tank been setup/running? Is it cycled? Are you planning to cycle with or without fish? What are the chems you're referring to?

From my recent experience, I would wait until the water clears before adding any fish in there just to be sure that the cloudy/dirty water is just cloudiness from the sand and not some other more critical problem (i.e., algae bloom, bacteria bloom, etc.). Once the water clears, you'll need to decide if you're planning to cycle the tank by adding fish or by doing fishless cycling. There is something to be said about both ways although fishless cycling is less stressful on the fish. If you're like me and this is your first tank you may have a hard time with fishless cycling so be ready to change about 20-25% of the water in the tank every other day when the cycle does start until it ends so the fish don't start hating you :-). If you do decide to cycle with fish, start small and be patient... don't add too many at once as it will be harder to control once the cycle is in full swing.

Some pictures would be nice ;-)

Mattkelsey 12-10-2009 09:28 PM

i just filled it today and it white looking is thier a way i can cycle the tank with out fish being in it that is very easy to do. i unpluged my filter hoping it would not be so white the water that is i put in a chem that makes tap water safe for fish too was unplugging the filter a good idea also

hawk were very close would it be okay if i called u for it would be much easier for me

Angel079 12-10-2009 10:18 PM

Hello & Welcome.

I think before you add chemicals and/ or fish, its very advisable to read this http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...ium-cycle-252/

MoneyMitch 12-10-2009 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 288074)
Hello & Welcome.

I think before you add chemicals and/ or fish, its very advisable to read this http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...ium-cycle-252/

after you read about the cycle provided in the link above turn your filter back on. your water is either cloudy from the chemical you added being old and detremental to your aquarium or small particulate floating in the tank which the filter will clear up. then after the water clearturn your filter off and rinse off the media. then add 2-3 fish about 2-3 inches and wait one monthy untill after your cycle finishes (1 week with 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite) feel free to pm me any more Q;s

velocitygirl 12-11-2009 02:12 AM

the cloudiness of the water could also stem from the type of filter you use with the sand,many of the hang on back types will stir up the sand which is not a good thing for a array of reasons.what filter are you using?

Mattkelsey 12-11-2009 02:32 AM

I am using the filter called aquaclear 50 made by hagen that came with the kit

velocitygirl 12-11-2009 02:43 AM

the good news is that you got a great heater of its class,it is the big brother of the one i use in my Fluval Edge.the bad news is that the way the output stream works it can and typiclly will stir up sand clouds your tank,and will wear out your filter and media way faster.i would start there.try using a smaller gravel the same color as the sand as a base layer might be a way to get the same look

1077 12-11-2009 02:45 AM

The aquaclear filter is a good one and should be fine.
Sand should be rinsed several times before placing it in the aquarium, otherwise considerable clouding of the water will take place. Even after good rinsing, some discoloration can take place. Filter should clear this up within a few hours to a day depending on how well the sand was rinsed to remove any possible dirt that may have been present in the sand or powdering material that may have been present.
Unless plants are to be used,I would keep sand bed no deeper than one to two inches. Would also consider the use of trumpet snails to help keep the sand from packing down and possible sulfide from forming under the surface.

velocitygirl 12-12-2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by velocitygirl (Post 288178)
the good news is that you got a great heater of its class,it is the big brother of the one i use in my Fluval Edge.the bad news is that the way the output stream works it can and typiclly will stir up sand clouds your tank,and will wear out your filter and media way faster.i would start there.try using a smaller gravel the same color as the sand as a base layer might be a way to get the same look

i meant filter not heater,my fault