Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Snails Snails and more snails HELP! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/snails-snails-more-snails-help-33614/)

Candee 12-10-2009 09:15 AM

Snails Snails and more snails HELP!

I have been infested. I assume they got in my tank via a plant. As soon as I saw my first one I killed it but I think there were many more that stayed unseen. As soon as I started to see more I started to take out what I could and I bought a few snail eating snails Clea (Anentome) helena but they don't seem to be eating them as fast as they are reproducing (if they are eating them at all - havent seen them actually eat any yet).

I have decided to buy some loaches but debating if I have room for it - I have quite a few bottom dwellers.
If I was to have loaches I would only really consider 5-6 dwarf chain loaches (Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki) . I think they are cute and they are supposed to be avid snail eaters.

I have stuck cucumber in the tank to only get one or two snails - they didn't touch the lettuce or they see me coming and jump off - who knows- I read everywhere that is supposed to work.

Do I have enough space for some dwarf chain loaches?

In my 55 g tank I have
1 powder blue dwarf gourami (
Colisa lalia)
1 pearl gourami (Trichogaster leeri)
10 cardinal tetra's (Paracheirodon axelrodi)
5 kuhli loaches (Pangio kuhlii)
5 upside down cat fish (that are always in hiding) Synodontis nigriventris
2 lyretail killifish (a couple) Aphyosemion australe
2 snail eating snails Clea (Anentome) helena's

plus a million unwanted snails

Byron 12-10-2009 12:41 PM

You have space for a group (minimum 5) of dwarf loaches, Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki [formerly considered in the genus Botia until Kottelat in 2004], but I have not heard that they were particularly good at snail ridding. Mine don't seem to be, but I have larger loaches that do so the dwarfs may get some as well and I just don't notice it. A fascinating fish though, very playful and energetic.

Excess snails means they are getting food. May be another reason why you can't catch them with "bait", they aren't hungry:shock:. Make sure you don't overfeed, only feed what gets eaten in a few minutes, and once a day or even less; some feed fish on alternate days.

Byron.

JHLaquatics 12-10-2009 02:25 PM

Dont feed the fish for a couple days and throw the cucumber in you will get snails. Dont worry about starving your fish they can go a couple weeks without eating and will not be harmed. Once you get the snails on the cucumber throw them in a baggie and send them my way :) o lol n/m see ur in the netherlands

Fishin Pole 12-10-2009 03:37 PM

this method has worked for me and had some good feedback from other members who tried it:

When i do water changes, i use a 1/2 inch diameter hose and suck them out into a net over a bucket, allowing the water to pass thru and not the snails, you can get a couple hundred in a matter of minutes.....This can be done and if its not time for a water change, you can simply empty the snail free bucket of water, right back into your aquarium and do it again and again till your pleased with the results..........As others stated, overfeeding is the culprit and baiting with fresh veggies will work, if they are hungry enough

mastermindc3pro 12-12-2009 03:19 PM

I have noticed 3 snails in my tank now....What are the odds of an infestation occuring...?

Herky 12-13-2009 02:19 PM

I'm having a problem with snails at the moment as well. I started with one little tiny one, and now I have hundreds of little tiny ones. I'm going to have to try the cucumber thing...

RogueGypsy 12-16-2009 02:22 PM

I had a single snail appear in my quarantine tank on a plant I bought at my LFS. I saw him drifting down in to the gravel, scooped out the whole are but either missed him or he had friends. Within 3 days the glass was covered with little specks. It's a well fertilized tank I use to quarantine plants for just this reason, so the population exploded. I put my 4 Dojo Loaches in there for a clean-up crew, within a couple of hours the glass was clear and after 3 day I only see a couple on some of he plant leaves. I don't know if they will completely eradicate them, but they are doing a great job of controlling them.

HTH,

Brock