Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   How did you become a fish keeping hobbiest? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/how-did-you-become-fish-keeping-33593/)

Angel079 12-09-2009 06:22 PM

How did you become a fish keeping hobbiest?

I'm just curious what led y'all to fish and/ or stories behind y'all having fish these days??

I'll start....
Dear friends of mine where beginning a VERY ugly divorce that incl a far move....so I was with my gf one night, helping pack stuff for the kids when she looked at me said "take my tank, he'll just let them die"...Well so I did...

At this time & point *ALL* the fish knowledge I had was: They need water and food..
Needless to say breaking down the tank, setting it up at my place - AFTER I gave the "jucky" filter a GOOD cleaning :lol: few fish died, so I got online & started reading up and learning.

First action then was: Bought a 55g tank with bunch plants and cycled it and moved the gang over (their tank was WAY too small) and restocked groups from there...Well then I had this small empty tank...So I added shrimp into it....after these 2 tanks 4 more followed :lol:

mags2313 12-09-2009 08:01 PM

Mine started in October of 2008. My b.f and I were sitting around on one of my days off and for some reason I wanted to go to WalMart and get a big fish bowl to put a goldfish in. My b.f looked at me and said, "Well, if you we are going to get a fish, lets do it right". So we both began researching and that evening we purchased a 35 gallon tank. That first tank has now been down for 3 months and we have 4 bigger ones all with sumps now. LoL.

My Signature is not up to date right now but will do that soon.

madhu 12-09-2009 08:14 PM

In my case, my mom in law came visiting and bored at my place. She was going to be here for more than a month. So I decided to get something which will keep her occupied. I know she loved fishes, so I got her a 10G aquarium. Eventually, I got more interested in it than her. :) Its been 5 months now. I am loving it and when I am confident that I have sufficient knowledge, I am very much interested in getting my self bigger tanks.

Calmwaters 12-10-2009 10:49 AM

Its all my big brothers fault! LOL He got me a 10 gallon tank for my 10th birthday that was 12 years ago. I now have a total of 15 tanks that total 145 gallons.

JouteiMike 12-10-2009 01:58 PM

I grew up as a kid with my parent's fish tank with 3 goldies which kindled my interest, but if wasn't until roughly 4-5 years ago that I became serious with the hobby finally get a tank of my own. In the early stages I tried to learn everything on my own but found myself running into constant problems based on advice from pet stores and what my parents knew. So I finally stumbled on on this forum and I was amazed at all the people in my shoes and I literally absorbed so much information like a sponge from this forum in the matter of a only a couple months. This forum is the reason I am where I am now in terms of my knowledge and ability to take care of fish tanks.

Hawkian 12-10-2009 07:42 PM

I had a small 15g as a teenager and knew nothing about fish whatsoever other than the fact that I liked watching them. The novelty wore off as the fish started to die on me and I would say that within a year, the tank was no more. That was 22 years ago.

Fast forward to summer 2008. I had a 2 yr old boy who we needed to entertain on the weekends (didn't want the kid to simply watch TV all day because he wasn't at daycare) so my wife and I started taking him "shopping" which resulted in taking him to this huge pet store about 30 minutes from our place. Every time I went in there, he would be enthralled by the dogs and the cats... and I would become nostalgic about my 15g tank from 22 years ago! Knowing myself to be obsessive-compulsive (there you have it folks!) I waited and figured that the thought of keeping fish would eventually die away. One year later, September 2009, I bought my 32g tank. Now I want more... but this isn't going too well with my wife who bought me my tank and now has to hear me complain that I don't have enough! I guess I can wait another year... LOL!

teddyzaper 12-10-2009 07:52 PM

well when i wqas 10 or so my dad had a huge built in 275gallon tank and i had my own 30gallon tank that he took care of for me. that kinda got me to know fish and become interested, but i really never to care to understand them, just look.

about 4 years later,2008, we finished building our new house. the painter that painted all of the house was talking and he said his fish had babies, he then offered to give me some. i accepted and he brought them the following day. i put 6 young convict cichlids in a tiny bowl and though they were really cool. from all the fish stuff that i had in my past there was a 20gal tank in the garage. i set it up and put them in. i eventualy started getting more into it and got another tank, then another.

bearwithfish 12-10-2009 07:56 PM

mmmmmm well we had a few tanks when i was a kid and a few years ago i wanted to do something cool for the wife and i got her a 55 gal we loved it and then things changes and it had to go... well valentines day this year i got her a 30 gal and was kinda jealous sooooooo i started my new addiction which has me running 4 tanks currently (not to mention hers and one of the childrens) and about 10-15 more after the move .. oh yeah and then the fish room i want to build.... ahhhhhhhhhhh the fish room ... oh and i am starting to get betta's for xmass!!! :)

Romad 12-10-2009 09:11 PM

I casually mentioned one day to my bf that I used to love watching the fish in my "family" tank when I was young and last christmas i walked into the living room to find a 45 gal hex. sitting in the middle of the room. that's my community tank and when getting supplies one day, stopped to look at the bettas in the fish store and the rest is history.....

Angel079 12-10-2009 09:27 PM

@hawkian;288007 blaming it all on the kid...that's awesome! :lol: