Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Vivariums and Reptiles (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/vivariums-reptiles/)
-   -   Hexagon Half Water Half Land w/ African Clawed Frog (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/vivariums-reptiles/hexagon-half-water-half-land-w-33586/)

jstnhickey 12-09-2009 04:08 PM

Hexagon Half Water Half Land w/ African Clawed Frog

I don't know if this is the correct section to post this, feel free to move it if needed.
I currently have 2 african clawed frogs that I have had for about 1.5 years. They are about 2.5 inches long. I have them in a 20gallon tall right now, but due to some rearranging in the house I need to move them. The best solution is a hexagon tank for me, considering the layout of the house.
I read online that the frogs should not have to swim more than 12 inches to get to air. Is this true? If it is I had planned on doing this with a hexagon tank...
Buy a 30+gallon hexagon tank. Fill it so there is about 12-14 inches of water. Then build a land mass above that along the back of the tank.
I plan to use a canister filter to filter the water in the tank.
I may add a slow moving waterfall or just some water moving over the dry area.
I want to plant plants on the dry area for sure.
Has anyone done this with success, with African Clawed Frogs?
I would also like to find something that could live on land/water with them. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am not determined to put anything else living in it, but it sure would be cool.
Would a 30ish gallon hexagon tank be large enough for this?
I understand AFC can be very picky and don't like to live with other animals, but what are your experiences?
Thanks for any help.

bettababy 12-28-2009 02:00 AM

If we are speaking of the same frog in reference to African clawed frogs (Xenopus laevis) then a 30 hex is not going to last them real long. These guys get quite large (5 - 6 inches is average but I have seen them up to 7+ inches) and are horrific waste machines. They are also incredible escape artists. Giving them land and plants to propel themselves upward is not really a good idea unless the tank is very deep and the plants and land allow for plenty of unscalable area before reaching the surface. A suitable tank size for 2 adult ACF's would be about 75 gallons with good filtration and with a very tightly sealed cover.

Another note about ACF's is that if they ever differ much in size from each other, you will want to separate them so the larger frog doesn't eat the smaller. Yes, they are canibalistic if there is enough size difference to warrant it. Whatever fits into their mouth is likely to become food. In a 30 gallon hex not full of water, I wouldn't suggest any other animals unless they are intended as food. It will be difficult to find something large enough to not be eaten and still small enough to handle that amount of water and depth... not to mention the high waste concentrations from the frogs. That would do best as a species only habitat.

So, can it be done? Yes, for a while. Just be prepared for their adult size and need for a much larger tank in the near future, and the high waste levels and need for extreme amounts of filtration and water changes.

Do not expect to find ACF's crawling around out of the water much except when trying to escape, they are fully aquatic frogs. Their skin dries out quickly, which means death for them. They will, however, build "chains" using each other and available materials in their environment to scale the sides of the tank above the water line, and are well known for escaping into sump and overflow systems when available. My last ACF required me to weight down the cover to avoid it from pushing the cover open to escape during the night or when I was away from the tank. More than once I caught him in another tank in my fish room, catching his fill of fish for his middle of the night meals.

They do need to surface for air, so that is good to keep in mind when decorating the tank, they just don't sit around on logs and dry ground the way a newt or salamander will.

Hope that helps.