Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   where to buy live stock online (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/where-buy-live-stock-online-33578/)

jmlampert23 12-09-2009 11:12 AM

where to buy live stock online

So the stores close to me really suck big time when it comes to looking for healthy live stock, so i am looking to see where i can buy them online. i am intersted in some cichlids and possibaly some inverts. i like the shrimp and maybe some lobsters.

so my questions are....

1. what are some reputable online live stock dealers

2. how had are the lobsters and shrimp to care for and are they agressive where they will not harm my fish

3. i am intersted in maybe stocking cichlids. what are some of your suggestions into types of cichlids i should get.

thanks for you help in advance

Jamie

jaysee 12-09-2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmlampert23 (Post 287253)
So the stores close to me really suck big time when it comes to looking for healthy live stock, so i am looking to see where i can buy them online. i am intersted in some cichlids and possibaly some inverts. i like the shrimp and maybe some lobsters.

so my questions are....

1. what are some reputable online live stock dealers

2. how had are the lobsters and shrimp to care for and are they agressive where they will not harm my fish

3. i am intersted in maybe stocking cichlids. what are some of your suggestions into types of cichlids i should get.

thanks for you help in advance

Jamie

Hi Jamie. For online orders, I've had tremendous succcess with aquabid. Crayfish and shrimp are not difficult to care for, although some shrimp can be tough to acclimate. Crays are generally semi aggressive, and will most definitely harm your fish if given the chance. It can range anywhere from torn fins to a missing fish. I would not mix crays or shrimp with cichlids...the shrimp will be eaten and they cray will either torment the cichlids or be killed by them, depending on the fish and their sizes. IME, barbs are ideal tankmates for crayfish, as well as any fish that swims at the surface.

Kelso 12-09-2009 11:34 AM

Aquabid, Live Aquaria, and That Pet Place.

jmlampert23 12-09-2009 06:58 PM

thanks guys ill look into those

Angel079 12-09-2009 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelso (Post 287267)
Aquabid, Live Aquaria, and That Pet Place.

Almost all places.... Forgot petsolutions.com and petzonesd.com

mollies 12-10-2009 02:30 AM

livefishdirect.com Out of Utah That is where i order all of my cichlids. Very nice fish if i must say.

Calmwaters 12-10-2009 09:38 AM

I purchased some fish from a very nice man on Aquabid the fish arrived very healthy, shipping was reasonable and he has a large selection of Chiclids he emails me a list each month to let me know what he has avaliable. He also normally has grays and a variety of shrimp. If you give me an idea of what you want I can get the prices off my list for you.

jmlampert23 12-10-2009 10:00 AM

i have never kept cichlids before, i have always had catfish. i thought a change would be in order. what types of cichlids can i keep with shrimp and or crayfish/freshwater lobsters? any ideas would be great. i am still cycling my new tank so i have some time to decide what i want to do.

jaysee 12-10-2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 287263)
Hi Jamie. For online orders, I've had tremendous succcess with aquabid. Crayfish and shrimp are not difficult to care for, although some shrimp can be tough to acclimate. Crays are generally semi aggressive, and will most definitely harm your fish if given the chance. It can range anywhere from torn fins to a missing fish. I would not mix crays or shrimp with cichlids...the shrimp will be eaten and they cray will either torment the cichlids or be killed by them, depending on the fish and their sizes. IME, barbs are ideal tankmates for crayfish, as well as any fish that swims at the surface.

You could probably keep ghost shrimp with dwarf cichlids, but even then the shrimp will eventually be eaten....they always do.

rsheets 12-12-2009 12:20 AM

I just got 30? fish from live aquaria, and there fish were very nice and healthy. I have lost three in three days but two of them died because they were very small and got sucked into the overflow box and got into my sump filter. The silver dollars are still freaked out and will not come out to swim but find time to eat all of the few live plants I had in there. I will buy from there again for sure, I already have my next order picked out for after my tank goes through it's mini cycle.
I was impressed with the live fish direct website as well especially for cichlids.
Both of these website offer 14day guarantee, I like that.