Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Nano Reef (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/)
-   -   10g salt reef (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/10g-salt-reef-33493/)

fishesfriend 12-07-2009 07:53 PM

10g salt reef

I want to set up a 10g reef tank with a 5g sump maby with a small skimmer
I would like 1 neon goby, cleaner shrimp, 3 bumble bee snails 2 zebra hermits in the 10g
in the sump i would like the cheto algea ( I know the spellings wrong please tell me the real spelling)

Questions
  • How many watts of light do i need for the main tank , for the sump
  • I need to now like everything on corals
  • I might end up putting baby banggai cardinals in it (yes i have a75g tank set up just i have the basics fish snails crabs NO corals)
  • how do sumps i figure out how many gph does the retern pump need

Kellsindell 12-08-2009 10:18 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Like all of us did when we first started, and it is still true today, you have a lot of reading to do.

And since this site has changed and I have no clue where anything is, you may need someone else to tell you... Onefish, Pasfur? Here's what i can give you though For Lighting.

fishesfriend 12-08-2009 02:40 PM

Thank you. I will draw up a plan for every body to get a better idea of what i'm goin for. I'm sure nuclear greens Zoanthids ( I think thats what they are called)

wake49 12-08-2009 03:22 PM

Read this: Understanding Sumps. It will help you gain a little knowledge as to how they work.

fishesfriend 12-09-2009 03:12 PM

Thank you i don't know if i will use a type of pump he sugested i think i will have a low power pump to draw the water out of my main tank. So if i experience a power outage i won't end up in a flood. I think I will want an inlet area, an area to grow micro algea, and an outlet area. Thank you. Now just to get those drawings done.

wake49 12-09-2009 03:35 PM

I don't think that having a pump pulling water from your display tank is a good idea. This could easily cause a flood as there is no way to match the gph rating between the two pumps. Even if one pump is at 1 GPH higher than the other, over the course of eight hours or so, a flood would be inevitable. You have to use some kind of overflow system for the display, such as drilling the tank, or a siphon overflow.

You could use a CPR overflow prefilter, such as the one in this link. In this one, if the power goes out, the air-lifter will re-start the siphon.

fishesfriend 12-09-2009 04:30 PM

if i were goin to drill the tank will it crack? And which desigh should i use

wake49 12-10-2009 10:08 AM

I'm hoping that Onefish can help here as he has experience with drilling tanks. I personally only have experience with either pre-drilled tanks or with the Continuous Siphon Overflow I liked in the above post.

fishesfriend 12-10-2009 03:29 PM

I have read in the Encyclopedia of Aquarium Fish by Dick Mills, that for a salt water tank that every 50 sq. inches of waters serfice you can add 1 inch of fish. So by my calculations a ten gallon tank has around 200 sq. inches of waters surfice ( 20" * 10") that my tank could hold 2 neon gobs not including the sump is this true? Please vioce opinions . drawings are about done.

NC Frank 12-10-2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishesfriend (Post 287447)
if i were goin to drill the tank will it crack? And which desigh should i use

Make sure it isn't tempered glass and make sure you are using the right drill bit... or even better let a glass shop drill it for you.