Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Newbie Question....ONLY 2 (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/newbie-question-only-2-a-33488/)

MrBishop 12-07-2009 07:03 PM

Newbie Question....ONLY 2

Hey guys, sorry to be a pain but there are a few things i dont know yet.

Can someone explain to me what Cycling is :-?

And...

Ammonia levels and how there messured.

Once again sorry to be a Dummie! pain in the but! :-(

Hawkian 12-07-2009 07:12 PM

Alright Bishop... you need to get a crash course on cycling you go here: Tips for Cycling Your New Aquarium - The First Tank Guide - Getting Your Fish Tank Up and Running with Minimal Headaches.

Ammonia levels - as well as nitrites, and nitrates, and pH, and kH, and gH - are all measured through test kits that you can purchase at your local fish store. They'll fetch about 50$ for the bunch but well worth the $$$ if you're gonna keep fish for the long haul.

BTW, welcome to the forum. :-)

MrBishop 12-07-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkian (Post 286446)
Alright Bishop... you need to get a crash course on cycling you go here: Tips for Cycling Your New Aquarium - The First Tank Guide - Getting Your Fish Tank Up and Running with Minimal Headaches.

Ammonia levels - as well as nitrites, and nitrates, and pH, and kH, and gH - are all measured through test kits that you can purchase at your local fish store. They'll fetch about 50$ for the bunch but well worth the $$$ if you're gonna keep fish for the long haul.

BTW, welcome to the forum. :-)

Exellent... thanks so much.. really helpful!:-D

aunt kymmie 12-07-2009 07:31 PM

An API Master Test kit can be purchased online for much cheaper than you'll find them retail.
I got mine here:

Aquarium Water Testing: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit

MrBishop 12-07-2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 286454)
An API Master Test kit can be purchased online for much cheaper than you'll find them retail.
I got mine here:

Aquarium Water Testing: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit

Thats 23 bucks... so about 15 quid? cool. what can you test with that??

jmlampert23 12-07-2009 07:38 PM

with the API kit you can test nitrite, nitrate, pH, ammonia, i have it and it works awsome. it is a great kit plus you get over 800 tests

Angel079 12-07-2009 07:39 PM

You can test your Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite with this - Which all 3 are crucial factors during your cycling. Also you can test your pH and hardness with these (which determines apart from tank size what fish you should ideally house)