Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Are goldfish compatible with snails? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/goldfish-compatible-snails-334793/)

PetMania 01-19-2014 04:36 PM

Are goldfish compatible with snails?
 
I am getting a new goldfish and I was wondering if I could keep snails with it. If so, are there certain species that would be better?

Thank you!

sandybottom 01-19-2014 08:29 PM

hi pet! :-D how are you?glad to see you are on.i keep nerites with my goldies.i use them because some smaller more prolific snails reproduce quickly,and the young snails can be a choking hazard.especially snails with conical shells.

rickey 01-20-2014 07:24 AM

What Sandy said, I wouldn't just because I despise snails. They are the rats of the aquatic world.

R

PetMania 01-22-2014 12:05 AM

Thanks, guys :) I just wanted to know if a couple mysteries would be okay with them.

sandybottom 01-22-2014 12:34 PM

i have seen many mysteries kept with goldies.they will eat the small ones. you just need to make sure the snails are getting their fair share of food.

Poleren 02-09-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetMania (Post 3760393)
I am getting a new goldfish and I was wondering if I could keep snails with it. If so, are there certain species that would be better?

Thank you!

It depends on what snail you get and how big they get. If your goldfish grows 3 times the size of your snail then he/she will probably eat the snail. If the snails are tropical then... No.

Flint 02-09-2014 11:58 AM

Mystery snails can be kept with goldfish as long as you have the room. They are messy little snails! The goldies won't be able to eat the size you can get at most pet stores which are the size of a large marble.

Poleren 02-09-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poleren (Post 3889209)
It depends on what snail you get and how big they get. If your goldfish grows 3 times the size of your snail then he/she will probably eat the snail. If the snails are tropical then... No.

Yeah, if your goldfish grow larger than 6 inches then full-grown mystery snail will be eaten.

Flint 02-09-2014 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poleren (Post 3889241)
Yeah, if your goldfish grow larger than 6 inches then full-grown mystery snail will be eaten.

That's not true. Just because the fish is 6" doesn't mean it can eat a golfball.

jaysee 02-09-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 3889257)
That's not true. Just because the fish is 6" doesn't mean it can eat a golfball.


I agree. The mouth is only so big....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2