Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   pleco's (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/plecos-33471/)

mastermindc3pro 12-07-2009 10:54 AM

pleco's

Do plecos eat other fish? I woke up this morning and saw half a fish sticking out of my plecos mouth. I dont know if he died last night or was just eaten. But when i looked at him he kinda spit the rest back out and swam away. Do they do this alot?? This is the first time ive seen him do it.

kelly528 12-07-2009 02:39 PM

I don't think they'll take on a live one but yeah they may scavenge a dead fish. They also like to suck the slime coat off of fish. What size is the tank and is this a common pleco you have? Because commons are massive waste producers and the ammonia he's putting out could be killing your fish.

teddyzaper 12-07-2009 08:55 PM

rofl.
fish owner- pleco you masive poop is killing your friends
pleco- aww poop!

aunt kymmie 12-07-2009 09:00 PM

Plecos are opportunistic eaters and IMHO they'll scavenge anything! I'm sure your fish was DOA before the pleco got a hold of him. As Kelly states some have been known to suck slime coats. What are your water parameters? I wonder what caused your fish to perish?

MoneyMitch 12-07-2009 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelly528 (Post 286309)
I don't think they'll take on a live one but yeah they may scavenge a dead fish. They also like to suck the slime coat off of fish. What size is the tank and is this a common pleco you have? Because commons are massive waste producers and the ammonia he's putting out could be killing your fish.

+1

mastermindc3pro 12-08-2009 02:43 AM

I have a 30 gal tank. I believe he is a common pleco but he keeps that tank pretty clean he's always munching on something I call him captain jack sparrow lol.

kelly528 12-09-2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 286569)
+1

Always there to back me up :)

kelly528 12-09-2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastermindc3pro (Post 286654)
I have a 30 gal tank. I believe he is a common pleco but he keeps that tank pretty clean he's always munching on something I call him captain jack sparrow lol.

Get a sample of your water and bring it to a pet store for testing. Even if your tank looks clean the water could be full of toxic organic chemicals.

fishcity 12-12-2009 09:08 PM

im new here but i do have a 90 gallon pleco tank..they are pretty much scavengers, but may latch onto a flat bodied fish if they get the chance..discus are especially in danger...as far as waste goes, i have a 13 inc and a 7 onch in a 90 gallon with insane amounts of filtration...dont neglect ur water changes to offset the fact that they are good at producing large amounts of waste..try giving them zuchinni or the occasional cucumber..they will love it! good luck

stephanieleah 12-13-2009 06:45 PM

I have a BN pleco and even when he eats algae off of my plants he has a very gentle mouth. I couldn't see him eating a fish on purpose. I've seen him latch on to a snail momentarily and he did no damage whatsoever. I'm guessing it was an accident and he was just as surprised as you were.