Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/)
-   -   fish that go together? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/fish-go-together-33465/)

mollies 12-07-2009 12:04 AM

fish that go together?

Ok I have a sailfin tang. I wanting to know if i could put a yellow tang, hipo tang, and a coral bu angl, to gether? Tank is a 150.

wake49 12-07-2009 07:14 AM

I wouldn't put the Yellow Tang in that tank. I have a 150 myself and would definitely not do that combo. They are both from the Zebrasoma genus. Tangs are more likely to pick on each other if they similiar in body shape and/or color, along with being form the same genus. These two Tangs are very close in body shape. As far as the Hippo Tang, it would have been better had you added him before the Sailfin, as the Zebrasoma genus are the most territorial of the Tangs. It is still possible to add a Hippo, just make sure that your tank has ample swimming room and Live Rock work for the specimen to hide. The Coral Beauty (I assume coral bu angel is) should be just fine.

mollies 12-07-2009 10:50 PM

Ok well i could still add the hipo first my salfin is in my 40 gallon quar. So what others would you recomend i wont be getting them till april at the latest. I want my tank to sit at 5 to 6 months with out puting them in. So im just trying to get a few more ideas. Thanks for the help so far.

wake49 12-08-2009 06:34 AM

I would go with a Tang from the Ctenochaetus genus, such as the Yellow Eye Kole Tang or the Two Spot Bristletooth Tang. Also, adding a Tang from the Acanthurus genus, such as the Convict Tang or the Powder Blue Tang. You might want to add the specimen from the Acanthurus genus along with the Hippo. The reason being they are very close relatives; the Hippo is from the Paracanthurus genus.

Pasfur 12-08-2009 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mollies (Post 286611)
Ok well i could still add the hipo first my salfin is in my 40 gallon quar. So what others would you recomend i wont be getting them till april at the latest. I want my tank to sit at 5 to 6 months with out puting them in. So im just trying to get a few more ideas. Thanks for the help so far.

Do you already own the Hippo? If not, are you suggesting that you purchase a Hippo and not use the quarantine tank? :shock:

Another key to mixing Tangs is the size. If you do add the Sailfin first, then try adding a much smaller Hippo Tang so that the Hippo is not perceived as a threat. I also have had good success with making small environmental changes to the aquascapping immediately before adding the new Tang.

mollies 12-08-2009 01:49 PM

No i Dont have the hipo yet. I have 2 quar, tanks a 30 and 40... I was going to get them and put them all in the 40.. Then in 4 months put them in the150. But if i should quar, them seperate Then i could do that.... Now my only reason for going through this now. Is because i want to get better knowledge of what works together and dont want a bunch of fish that dont go together. Would you recomend any type of rabbit or angle or so on that will work? Thank you

wake49 12-08-2009 03:18 PM

I wouldn't purchase these fish without having a permanent home already set up. Please don't put four tangs in a 40 gallon for four months. Wait until the 150 is set up and start adding fish. If you have the Sailfin in Q now, then wait until you add him to the 150, then Q your next fish. Or use the 30 to Q the Hippo and add the Sailfin and the Hippo at the same time. But don't buy the Hippo for a couple of months if this isn't getting set up until April...

mollies 12-08-2009 03:47 PM

The 150 has ben set up for over a month now. I am leting it cure for 6 months befor adding any fish. For my live rock to cure my dry rock. Also to get the alge growth.....Now the sailfin was gift so i put him in my 40 gallon that is now another quar, and the 30 was the main quar. I dont plan on getting any more fish for a few months. I was just wanting ideas on what would go together......If what i already asked besides the yellow will work then i should be ok.... My question is what other fish would i be able to put in with the sailfin, hipo, coral bu, and 2perc clowns? And how many? I understand not to add all the tangs together in the 40.

Pasfur 12-08-2009 08:16 PM

It is very important to recognize that fish which are compatible in a 150 are not necessarily compatible in a 40. There is zero chance of keeping 2 Tangs together in a 40 gallon, even short term.

Honestly, in a 150 your options are wide open. The sky is the limit, so long as the adult size of the fish is acceptable for your tank. Most combinations will work so long as you add the fish in the correct order. This will go a lot easier if you post a stocking list of fish that you want and let us help you with the order that you add them to your tank.

mollies 12-09-2009 01:54 AM

Well yes that is what im asking if you could help with the stocking. By no means do i want to put 2 tangs in a 40 gallon. iv stated that a few times now. I want to know the fish that i mentioned earlyer if they would work. wake said they would ecept the yellow. Here it gose one more time, Sailfin already have, Wanting hipo, coral bu ang, 2 perc clowns, and a rabbit or some kind of angel.