Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Guppies: Petco vs. Petsmart (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/guppies-petco-vs-petsmart-33451/)

fulmeralex 12-06-2009 06:40 PM

Guppies: Petco vs. Petsmart

I am going to purchase a couple of male & female guppies soon and I wanted to know if Petsmart really does have better quality guppies. I have always bought mine from Petco and they always have diseases, they are stressed, they only have them 1/4 of the time, and they only sell assorted varieties. One good thing about Petco is that, when they do have guppies, they stock males and females equally. Does Petsmart usually have females??? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

PS: These large chain stores are the only ones close enough to my house. I would buy guppies from a local store in a heartbeat but there are none at all close by.

teddyzaper 12-06-2009 06:47 PM

order them online. u can try aquabid. i wouldnt really recomend either but if you had to, id go petco.

Kelso 12-06-2009 06:53 PM

And if I was you, I'd order from thatpetplace.com

stephanieleah 12-06-2009 07:56 PM

I'd probably order online from a reputable source as well. I haven't ordered online yet but the fish at Petsmart and Petco always look a bit unhealthy.

Highland lake13 12-06-2009 08:45 PM

In my experience petsmart has better quality fish but keep the proof of purchase!

aunt kymmie 12-06-2009 08:50 PM

I think it just all depends on each store's level of care. Most fish at my local PetSmart are ich infested but my Petco is acceptable. I purchased my pictus cat from Petco and he's always been healthy other than the ich outbreak I had in my tank which was not related to the pictus. All my other fish have been purchased at my LFS or local breeders. My ich was introduced by one of my LFS purchases!

Oldman47 12-06-2009 10:25 PM

Some of the chain stores are OK, as Aunt Kimmie said, while others are not worth keeping in business. Your best bet is a local breeder, I delivered a net full to a fellow club member who wanted some last night. They started out as Petsmart buys but I brought them into a good condition and had them breed and thrive in my tanks.

When he saw them, he wanted them and didn't even ask the price. That is the visible difference between local bred fish and fish that have been in transit for the last week or two.

There was nothing special about my fish except that they only had to travel from my home to his. I really do not like all the implications about fish that are farm bred being weak. What is weak is any fish that has not had good treatment. When fish are bred in the orient and delivered to your local fish shop, they have been on the road for quite some time. First they go to a local shipper at the other end, then when enough have been gathered in one spot they are put onto a plane. It is about a day of travel if the flight is a non-stop but shipping rarely is. When they arrive in the country, they must be processed through customs and inspected. After that they are picked up by the trans-shipper, who brings them through customs and then ships them to the local fish shops. Next stop is a central location for someone like Petsmart. where they decide how many to send to each store. After that they ride on a truck for another day before arriving at the local Petsmart. All of this time they are in the bag they were put into on the farm. Now that they have made a world tour, you go buy them at the Petsmart and think they are weak fish because they look terrible after that ordeal. If you were made to go hungry, confined to a small container, wallow in your own waste and be shipped all over the world for a week or more, you would look pretty bad too.

I bet if I went to Malaya and bought my tropicals from a "local breeder" there, they would look great and be tough as nails at that time. The hard part would be to then get them home in good condition.

beetlebz 12-19-2009 08:42 PM

as a rule of thumb my local petco is AWFUL for fish health and condition, however my local petsmart has immaculate fish and fish living conditions. you have the same problem with poorly informed staff anywhere you go at a chain store really (with few exceptions) but if you keep your eyes open and ask around ive found that small independent and basement fish stores are out there, and usually awesome :)

1077 12-20-2009 02:12 AM

I believe farm raised fish are produced largely for numbers rather than quality and that is why So many fish are of weaker strains nowdays. There is no incentive for those mass producing fish to strive to take the extra care needed to ensure strains are strong. They simply churn out mass numbers of fish to meet the demand.
You will always find better quality in my view, with local breeders and or reputable online sources whose reputations are on the line. Opinions vary.

Jayy 12-24-2009 12:40 PM

I think that petsmart has a better varity of them and I think theres are healter