Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New 16 Gallon Bowfront (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-16-gallon-bowfront-33438/)

fulmeralex 12-06-2009 03:10 PM

New 16 Gallon Bowfront

I am getting a new tank for christmas and I'm extremely excited. This is the largest tank I have ever had and I want to start out right. Currently, I have a 7 gallon bow which has been up and running for close to a year. I only have 1 male guppy and 2 ghost shrimp in that tank.... So here's the point: I have a couple questions about setting up the tank.
1) I want to use the same table for the 16 gallon that my 7 gallon is on. However, the table is 12'' by 24''. The 16 gallon's dimensions are 20'' long x 13'' wide x 18'' tall. On another fish forum, I was told that it would be safe to put a slightly larger board on top of the table so the entire tank would be supported. Will this work in terms of weight distribution? Am I gambling with disaster?
2) I have a 100 gph power filter which has been filtering my 7 gallon for over 6 months. Is this filter adequate for the 16 gallon?
3) Since I can only have 1 tank up and running at one time, I plan to use all of the gravel, plants, and decor from my current tank in my 16 gallon. I will have to add some more stuff to fill it up, but if I use the cycled filter as well as all of the water from the 7 gallon will my new tank be ready for the male guppy and ghost shrimp ASAP?
4) If I plan to get more guppies and let them breed/eat their fry at will, how many more males and females should I add after the tank is cycled?
5) Any other advice on cycling/setup/stocking would be greatly appreciated!!! I want to consider everything before setting up my tank on Christmas.

La Reina 12-06-2009 03:18 PM

If you use the same filter, same gavel and basically everything from your old tank I *think* it'll be ready to go virturally immediately. (You still neeed to let the water sit to get rid of chlorine.) Don't quote me, I'm still a newbie at all of this. Good luck!

Hey, is your new tank an Aqueon? If so, let me know how you like it because I'm looking at a similar tank.

fulmeralex 12-06-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by La Reina (Post 285905)
If you use the same filter, same gavel and basically everything from your old tank I *think* it'll be ready to go virturally immediately. (You still neeed to let the water sit to get rid of chlorine.) Don't quote me, I'm still a newbie at all of this. Good luck!

Hey, is your new tank an Aqueon? If so, let me know how you like it because I'm looking at a similar tank.

That's really exciting news... I think I will still add any new guppies very slowly and watch for disease.

But to answer your question, I beleive the tank is Aqueon. It looks really cool and I think It's the perfect size. 20 gallon rectangular tanks are too plain and bulky looking for me. I don't mind compromising 4 gallons of water for a way more stylish tank.

La Reina 12-06-2009 03:38 PM

Let the water sit without your filter in it, the chlorine will kill all of your bacteria! If you can, use your olt tank water from your previous aquarium.

Angel079 12-06-2009 04:49 PM

I agree on the larger board under the tank - However what is important is not the board under the tank - but what comes under that? Make sure that whatever support is under this board eg. table legs are def strong enough to support the 16g water plus gravel etc you're looking at a weight of anywhere from 170-195 lbs (depending on substrate) so take yourself an another family member and sit together on the table you wanna use and test its stability :-)

As a more of less "rule" you'd want the tank volume (plus minus some) filtered 2x per hrs, menaing in your case 32gph as a min, so yea that's plenty enough.
Using this filter in the new tank has the clear advantage (having the used filter with all beneficial bacteria) that your new tank is cycled instantly, so no waiting time. I'd monitor your water parameters for few days to be safe, but you're set to go right then & there. Plants & Decor & Used water really don't house the needed bacteria, they're really only found in your filter media and gravel.

Consider if you may like to add a fish in there that's a little larger and therewith will surly gladly eat the fry and keep your population down.
Don't get too many guys on 1-2 gals (they'll just stress the gals out and they will die quick on you over this stress).

Hawkian 12-06-2009 06:51 PM

So I was on my way to write what Angel just posted about having an instantly cycled tank before the necessities of fatherhood got in the way... as they say, "crap happens" ... :-)

Your new tank will benefit from using your old filter and gravel - and to a lesser degree the decor (provided you don't wash it :-).

About the board, I would tell you (since I happen to have another hobby in the woodworking area) that it all depends on the type of board. If I were you I would invest into a 1/2 inch thick piece of wood (don't go any lower in density), cut to your aquarium's size (the 16g) so you're certain that you don't put too much stress on the actual tank. That shouldn't cost you anymore than 15$, probably way less than that. The board should NOT be plywood of anything malleable but should be rigid. We're talking about 10 lbs per gallon, so in your case that would be about 160 pounds, plus gravel and decor, so about 162 lbs (LOL)! Besides the board, be sure that the cabinet it will be sitting on is sturdy enough: sit your 160 lbs sister/brother on the stand to make sure it resists the strain. If it doesn't, your sister/brother will survive... your fish would likely not. Come to think of it... an "object" of 160 would do the trick too....