Tropical Fish Keeping banner

firemouth

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  rrcoolj 
#1 ·
8)who hear never sees there firemouth eat i dont i havnt seen him eat in anything in 4 months do they wait for the lights to go out to eat or wut i knw if he wasnt eatting hed be dead so when is he eatin

#2 ·
I have had my FM for a couple months now. They come right up to the surface to eat. Sometimes they will get scared and will be warry of you. They just have to kinda regain your trust. But most of the time they are avid eaters greadily eating anything in the water.

#3 ·
hmm wonder why mine fliped out i dont seem him eat havtn in 4 months

#4 ·
He's probably just scared of you. Firemouth are pretty shy fish. Having other mid to surfce dwelling fish helps let them know it's safe to come out. I have 8 serpae tetras which I will soon be replacing with sailfin mollies. Im suffering from the same thing right now. I rearranged my tank and my fish are terrified of me. Sit in front of the tank and let them get comftorable with our presence. Move slowly around them.

#5 ·
I have had my FM for 2 months now. It took about 4 weeks before it ate infront of me,but I sit and wait till it pops its head out of the lil ornament and just ATTACKS the flakes.Still,it freaks out if I move anywhere in the room. It is the most skidish fish I have ever owned.

#6 ·
Mines is just like that again shy fish. Again it helps to have other non cichlids in the tank eating. Because if one species is eating the otheres will find it safe to eat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.