Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What the heck? Nitrites?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-heck-nitrites-3338/)

Andyandsue 02-15-2007 07:32 AM

What the heck? Nitrites??

This is all my fault, and I know it. What to do?

I had a 3 gallon that was completely cycled. I upgraded to a 12 gallon 2 weeks ago, using all of the substrate, some of the filter media, and even the water from the 3 gallon. I had the same fish. Everything was fine, until 3 days later I had the bright idea of adding more fish. I added too many at once and now I have nitrites. It's very low at .25, (0 amm >5 nitrates, which is the nitrate reading I always had with my Eclipse tanks) and I am doing daily 2 gallon water changes to stop it from getting too high.

I have a recent very small outbreak of green algae (light on too long) and one live plant which I'm beginning to think could be using up the nitrates.

I'm so confused! Should I add an algae eating fish (oto?), remove the live plant, or leave as is and keep changing water daily forever? LOL Opinions please! Thank you!

Amphitrite 02-15-2007 08:12 AM

It's quite common to have an algae bloom in a new tank - I've had that problem in the past. With your nitrite reading I'd say you're having a mini cycle.

For now, just continue with the water changes to keep the nitrites as low as possible, and reduce the lighting times.

I wouldn't take any drastic action yet, and the algae may subside as the tank matures a bit.

jones57742 02-15-2007 11:04 AM

Ditto Kate with one proviso:

Is your current filtration adequate for your new 12G tank?

TR

Andyandsue 02-15-2007 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jones57742

TR

Yes, it's an Eclipse, so it came with its own filter which includes a biowheel. I'm sure it's just a mini-cycle I just don't want to get stuck in "nitrite-land" forever. LOL

musho3210 02-15-2007 04:10 PM

i deffinatly wouldnt add anymore fish, the cories arent really done well with 2 even though there a schooling species so if possible, which i think not, add more cories instead of an algae eater

Andyandsue 02-15-2007 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jones57742

TR

After I posted my reply I decided to took a look at my filter just in case, and found the bio-wheel moving much slower than normal. I cleaned the intake and found a very small clog. I also cleaned out the filter bed and changed the cartridge and *voila* the wheel is really moving again. So I think that may have been a big part of the issue. We'll see what happens in the next couple of days but I bet that was it! 100 Thank-yous! :D

musho3210 02-15-2007 04:35 PM

a slowing down wheel isnt always that bad, when bacteria grows on it the wheel starts to slow down since the bacteria changes the things in the wheel. But a complete halt in movement is something to be aware of

Andyandsue 02-15-2007 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musho3210
a slowing down wheel isnt always that bad, when bacteria grows on it the wheel starts to slow down since the bacteria changes the things in the wheel.

Like I said in my post, the wheel wasn't running as it should. It's only 2 weeks old. There isn't enough bacteria coating on the wheel to weigh it down to slow movement; hence cleaning the intake, filter housing and media cartridge got the wheel running as normal.

I may be a new member, but simpleton I'm not... :wink:

musho3210 02-15-2007 05:13 PM

kk just giving you a heads up for when it really happens.

Andyandsue 02-15-2007 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musho3210
kk just giving you a heads up for when it really happens.

Yeah. It's in the directions too.