Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Overstocked 30 gal? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/overstocked-30-gal-33368/)

stephanieleah 12-04-2009 11:50 PM

Overstocked 30 gal?

4 Attachment(s)
Hey y'all

I have had only six black skirt tetras and a BN pleco in my 30 gallon for the last couple of months. I finally fully stocked the aquarium and feel complete. However after only having seven fish in there, now it feels crowded...what do you think about this stocking level:

6 black skirt tetras
1 BN pleco
5 leopard danios
3 yo-yo loaches
couple nerite snails

It feels crowded but manageable now but I'm worried about when everything grows to full size.

Here are a couple of pics, if I can figure out how to attach them on here:

Fishin Pole 12-05-2009 07:09 AM

as long as your filtration is adequate, your tank is fine.....Not overstocked IMO.....Very nice looking setup!..........

Angel079 12-05-2009 08:40 AM

I don't think its overstocked neither. But I can see how you feel its crowed after only having had a few fish, just enjoy them :-)

My only concern LATER down the Rd would be the Yo-Yo's, I understand they grow to about 5-6" as adults, so I donno if they'll become territorial on your battling your grounds or not, but time will simply tell that. Just don't add any more "ground" fish.

aunt kymmie 12-05-2009 11:53 AM

I don't think your tank is overstocked at all. I've had my yo-yos for nearly two years. I purchased mine as two inch individuals and the biggest of the group is just under five inches at present. Not sure what size your yo-yos are but I don't consider their growth rate to be rapid.
Yo-yos, in my experience, are not territorial at all, but they do enjoy being incredibly rambunctious amongst themselves.
I think your tank looks great!!

bearwithfish 12-05-2009 12:13 PM

nope i think your fine!!! :) love the tank nice pix !!

Angel079 12-05-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 285370)
I don't think your tank is overstocked at all. I've had my yo-yos for nearly two years. I purchased mine as two inch individuals and the biggest of the group is just under five inches at present. Not sure what size your yo-yos are but I don't consider their growth rate to be rapid.
Yo-yos, in my experience, are not territorial at all, but they do enjoy being incredibly rambunctious amongst themselves.
I think your tank looks great!!

Ahhhh it was YOU with the Yo YO's...I kept trying to remember who to refer her to with the Yo Yo's and I couldn't recall the name to safe my life :lol: Thank Goodness you commented!
stephanieleah just listen to her, she knows them guys too well!!! ;-)

aunt kymmie 12-05-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 285444)
Ahhhh it was YOU with the Yo YO's...I kept trying to remember who to refer her to with the Yo Yo's and I couldn't recall the name to safe my life :lol: Thank Goodness you commented!
stephanieleah just listen to her, she knows them guys too well!!! ;-)

Twistersmom also keeps yo-yos and she loves them as much as I do. :-)
My yo-yos were the very first inhabitants of my display tank so I have a real fondness for them!

Byron 12-05-2009 06:41 PM

I agree all round...tank is not overstocked, and is very lovely. Nice job.:-)

Byron.

stephanieleah 12-06-2009 12:00 AM

aw [blush] thanks everyone. i was so embarrassed after i posted the pix because the tank is so dirty, that i gave the glass a thorough cleaning today. even my husband said "wow, those fish look happy today".

yes, the yo-yo's are rambunctious to say the least. one hides a lot and the other two chase their reflection in the glass (i think that's what those crazy guys are doing)