Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Air Pump? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/air-pump-33363/)

Hawkian 12-04-2009 09:19 PM

Air Pump?

How do I know if I need an air pump or something to inject oxygen in my tank?

bettababy 12-05-2009 01:40 PM

What your tank needs depends on what is in it... if you'd like to post your tank info/stats we could then better let you know if there is a need for extra oxygen or air stone with pump

Please include the type of filtration you are using when you list your info.

MoneyMitch 12-05-2009 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bettababy (Post 285420)
What your tank needs depends on what is in it... if you'd like to post your tank info/stats we could then better let you know if there is a need for extra oxygen or air stone with pump

Please include the type of filtration you are using when you list your info.

gotta say ive never really seen you "answer" a thread just ask Q's anyways back to the real topic here,

I would add a air pump if you see the fish gasing for air at the top or if you just want the bubble wall. most people either dot get it because of live plants or becuase they dont like they sound of the pump. but unless you see your fish hanging out at the top i wouldnbt bother.

Hawkian 12-05-2009 07:46 PM

MoneyMitch... point taken.

I answer once in a while when I feel like I know what I'm talking about but being somewhat new to the hobby (again) , the last thing I want to do is give people bad advice... which has happened a couple of times here already. So I am trying to be careful in my replies... apologies if that bugs you.

BettaBaby... my stats are in my signature... let me know if you need more.

I don't think I need an air pump... seem silly to me... but I'm wondering why people feel that they need it...

Thanks.

bearwithfish 12-05-2009 07:52 PM

BettaBaby frequently answers questions... just pointing that out she asks a lot of questions to get a thourogh picture of what is being asked.. she is quite knowledgeable actually...
just givin you a hard time Money :) it what i do its kind of my thing you know? LOL
as for the air if you filtration is creating a good amount of movement or if you are not over stocked then you dont really "need" it but some people like the look.. if your filtration does not create movement for oxygen to get mixed in then adding some air would be benificial....

Hawkian 12-05-2009 08:21 PM

BWF... thank you.

I never implied that BettaBaby was no knowledgeable... in fact, she's given me good advice in already! :-)

aunt kymmie 12-05-2009 09:24 PM

[quote=MoneyMitch;285564]gotta say ive never really seen you "answer" a thread just ask Q's quote]

I gotta say I don't think that. As long as BettaBaby has all the info as far as the answers to the questions she asks she gives some of the most well written and knowlegeable replies I've seen. IMHO, she's a very valued member of our forum.

JouteiMike 12-06-2009 09:39 AM

It makes a lot of sense to ask questions before jumping to an answer, that way you can give the right advice.

Something I was curious about are the dimensions of your tank, and the type of filtration you are running. Canister filters running with the output pointed away from the surface may be less effective for providing extra oxygen exchange, as opposed to the output being pointed up, agitating the surface. Power filters do a great job with the waterfall to agitate the surface. Live plants are another excellent, and more effective, addition to an aquarium as they provide oxygen.

As stated, in most cases the filtration provides adequate aeration. One such situation; however, may be different. For example I have a tall hexagon tank that has a rather small water surface exposed to the air in proportion to the overall volume. That type of tank I would consider running an air pump and air stone or getting live plants. Also in warmer water tanks, that are overcrowded, oxygen levels may be low due to warmer water, and so many fish consuming it.

Angel079 12-06-2009 10:35 AM

Hawkian don't you have a fairly planted tanks (if memory serves me right)? Then I'd not add one.
As for why people feel they need one...I think that's simple - The more stores offer the more folks feel they need to buy it. Just take all these liquids for tanks these days, I mean there's not a supposed problem all these bottles on the shelf at the store can't "solve" and for lotta people its easier to dump stuff after stuff in the tanks rather then solving the actual issue in the tank causing the problem in the first place.
Just cause any given product is out there doesn't mean you NEED to have it lol.
I'd keep an air pump for back up such as medications / sick fish, then if you need it you got it at home, if you're like some 100 miles away from the next best LSF it helps to be prepared :-)

Hawkian 12-06-2009 03:43 PM

Thanks all!

Angel you're right I do have a fairly well planted tank, but since I am making a trip to the LFS tomorrow I thoutght I'd buy everything in sight! :-) Glad to know it will now cost me less. I guess it was just that you see these gimmicks and read stuff that an air pump is sooo beneficial to your fish and blablabla... so you start wondering. I'm actually buying more plants tomorrow (yay!) so I think I'm good as far as oxygen goes... now if only I could convince my wife to get another tank... LOL!