Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Convict Cichlid Help! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/convict-cichlid-help-33346/)

Neptune 12-04-2009 12:20 PM

Convict Cichlid Help!

Ok. I dont know if any of you have read other posts about this aquarium, so ill start with some history. I had a pair of Convict Cichlids in my 29 gallon tank awhile ago. They had three batches of eggs/wrigglers, but each time they were al eaten, except for one ont eh first batch. After the third batch, the female killed the male. I moved my female into my 55 gallon, and got a few other females, while waiting for a larger male to come into my LFS. I waited for awhile and finally said, whatever, ill get a smaller one, he'll breed when hes ready. Ever since i brought in the male, my largest female have been cleaning out her usual breeding spot, digging outt he surrounding area. But i never saw her near my male. I fed them all this morning, everything was normal. I just went backd ownstairs to mvoe some stuff around in preparation fo my 29 gallon, and took a look at them. My female was in here usual laying spot, and there we some eggs stuck to the floor and walls. Not as many as usual though, but im thinking she could still be laying beause the eggs werent there this morning. But back to my initial concern, ive enver seen her even very close to my male, but even now, which is usual, a smaller female is ahnging just above the cave/barrel where my larger female is laying. I've heard that they're so prolific, two females have be known to try to breed if they're no males. But i have one. And all of my fish other than my fry and the alrger female are the same size. So i dont undersatnd y, if this is indeed whats happening, shed try to breed with this female rather than my male. Im kind of confused, so any advice at all on the topic would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,
Neptune

Neptune 12-04-2009 12:36 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I just went backd own to try and get a picture of the eggs, but witht he female being so territorial, she amde that quite difficult. Also, when iw ent down there to check again, my male was being quite aggressive on the side of the tank the cave is on aswell. Hmmm.... That only added to my confusion :S

P.S
Forgive the terrible photogrpahy, i was rushing....

Neptune 12-04-2009 01:06 PM

Once more i went down, and she has something coming out of her stomach. It looks like an egg, but quite a bit larger. Does this mean she is still laying?

Neptune 12-04-2009 04:08 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I know I've been diong a whole lot of posting on my own thread with no replies, but this is last one, promise!

I went down with a better camera, and can now show thigns a whole lot better...

I've got some pictures fo the eggs here: (Still surprisingly few.)

And the largest one is of the female, can anyone tell me what is hanging underneath her?

JHLaquatics 12-10-2009 02:39 PM

its hard to tell in that picture because its close but I would assume that is the "vent tube". where the eggs are dropped out of.

What is your concern with her laying eggs? by now you should know if the male fertilized the eggs or not. if he didnt she prolly ate them by now or they will be all white. if he did they will be wigglers. Also how big is the male? he might not be ready yet. give it a little time there convicts there will be a swarm in that tank

Neptune 12-10-2009 06:09 PM

Yes i kno, and she ate almost all of the eggs, so i figured they were duds. But apparently the little guy has got it in him ;). We have only about 12-15 wrigglers now though, in the past weve ahd MANY mroe than that. but hopefully they dont get eaten this time. She ahsnt mated in months, so is it normal for there to be this few young?