Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   New camera!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/new-camera-33284/)

mrdemin 12-03-2009 01:15 AM

New camera!!!

I figured this is one of the least active sections of the forum, which is weird, but I'm also super very excited and cannot hold this in and feel like sharing my excitement!!!
I just ordered myself a new camera... My trusted sony dsc t5 just isn't cutting it for me anymore and is way outdated. No worries, since I will still be using it for where the new baby cannot go. This current sony of mine has been with me for 5-6 years, and works very well to this day, and it has been through some bumps in its life... it really impressed me. (I do take very good care of my things though)
Anyway to the FUN stuff! I finally grew a pair and spent some money on a DSLR, $719 to be exact, plus $34 bucks for a 16gb sdhc memory stick. Yes I know I am dragging this out :roll:
I opted not to get any extra lenses for now, and get accustomed to the functions and the basic lens that it comes with (maybe it will be enough for me).
OK, ok, finally..............
I bought the Canon EOS Digital Rebel T1i
I can't go to sleep, I can't wait for it to arrive on my doorstep, AHHHH 8)
I always enjoyed photography, the sharpness, and detail that can be achieved with a DSLR can't be compared to a point and shoot camera and this is what I've always wanted, I just never wanted to shell out this much cash for one, but we only live once right :twisted:
Did I mention I can take HD videos, although the quality of them is frowned upon by many, I'm sure it will kick my sony's ass!
Whew.

jeaninel 12-03-2009 02:17 AM

Nice!! My daughter almost bought that one but opted for a Nikon D80. What fun having a new toy to play with.

willow 12-05-2009 05:36 AM

i hope it's everything you want in a camra.
have fun and post lots of pictures. :-D

Kellsindell 12-10-2009 10:33 PM

Aww... that's awesome! Congrats. I almost got that camera, but it was above my budget and my budget wasn't going to be getting any bigger for it. I wish. 1080p and 15.1megapix, does it really get any better then that for a canon camera? I got the Rebel XS, which I love, but i have to carry 2 cameras so that i can record video.

What lens did you get? I have a Tameron Zoom lense 70-210mm lense. It's pretty decent. You can check my thread for pics I have taken with it and before when I used a Tameron 25-85mm lens. The quality is so nice. I got my Lense off e-bay (both) and paid 20 for the 25-85mm and 10 for shipping and for the 70-210mm i paid 25 plus 10 for shipping... Tamron is a good company to go with and it is half the price of the Canon... That being said, there are some Canon lenses that cannot be replaced by anyone but canon, but we're talking in the thousands for them.

mrdemin 12-11-2009 12:53 AM

Ah nice, I was considering the XSi since I just got a new p&s as well, but instead I put off the t1i for a week or two hoping for some sort of discount. After some research I saw discounts happen pretty often with this cam where I order from and I missed the last one by a few days. I'm going to stick with the kit lens for now and add a 55-250 eventually. I'll post some pics after I get it.

Kellsindell 12-11-2009 07:08 PM

Sounds good to me. The kit it came with, was it the ef-s 18-55IS kit? They aren't the best. From everything i've read, those are pretty low quality lenses. Still, should be better then your old P&S. I almost got the XSi, but realized that there was little difference from XS to XSi other then megapixel, but from everywhere i have read after 10mp, they really don't get too much difference. 15mp though, i'm sure there's some difference in that! Congrats again, I'm camera envy :oops:.

mrdemin 12-13-2009 01:15 PM

Hey, don't envy anything, its not in my hands yet! I am getting it with the kit lens, I am not "into" photography, I just want more than I can get with any p&s, if the need arises I will get the 18-250... I hear they're great for all around use. I also read mixed reviews about the kit lens, I guess it depends on the experience of the reviewer, and well since I don't have any it will be awesome for me :)
The cam should be here tuesday or wednesday, there was a little hold up, my fault of course... CANT WAIT!
As for the megapixels, there probably isn't much difference between 10mp and 15mp unless you are making very large prints! If anything people would say the 10mp is better since the sensor is about the same size but not 15mp crammed into it. The only things that have changed from the xs to t1i are some of the functions, video, and digic4 sensor. Mostly everyone says picture quality wasn't really much improved.

mrdemin 12-17-2009 01:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Need I say more? :-D
I had it delivered to work, and got off at 11pm so didn't get much experimenting in, but its here!

chrlesdikkenson 12-23-2009 12:26 AM

I liked the camera, but how would I rate it compared to the competition. Well, compared to the XSi, it's better, but maybe not worth the money. The LCD is grand (that alone would get my money), and it's a no brainer if you need video or shoot lots of macros. But with resent price drops and combo deals from Canon, the XSi should still be strong based on value.