Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   300 gal monthly maint (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/300-gal-monthly-maint-33258/)

MoneyMitch 12-02-2009 02:21 PM

300 gal monthly maint

ok so my boss who is the owner of the restaraunt that i work at just ordered a 300 gallon aquarium fully setup with regullarly scheduled additions of fish and maitnance. he knows how much im inot fish and was the one who origannally gave him the idea of putting in an aquarium since we o0peend in the summer. anyways i asked to look at the contract with these guys who hes getting everything through and turns out he bought the contract and equip from the fish store i go to. however, they say in there that they come in once a month to arrange the tank add fish perform water changes and clean the equip.... i said to myself how is that possible? i thought you need to do it like 1 time a week not to mention hes getting the Live plant package here. hes got about 6-7 grand tied up into this and im not sure hes getting everything that NEEDS to be in place in order to maintain this tank. any imput or suggestions???

willieturnip 12-02-2009 02:43 PM

6-7 grand for a 300 gallon freshwater? HOW?!

With a sensibly stocked tank of this size, maintenance once a month is fine.

What kit has the boss got/ordered? I think I'd be hard pushed to spend that kind of money on a reef of that size..

Angel079 12-02-2009 03:13 PM

My first thought reading these figure was salt tank too...are you sure he's gotten freshwater and not salt?

Did the contract tell you anything like how many/ what plants are going in and/ or how many/ what type fish?

Romad 12-02-2009 03:39 PM

My thoughts is that I'm in the wrong business (Finance).

Fishin Pole 12-02-2009 03:44 PM

I just did some figuring with prices from"That Pet Place".........I honestly dont think that its too out of line as far as price goes, if everything as stated is included.........This is how i borke it down:

Tank........................$1300
Canopy.....................$450
Stand.......................$780
Filter Fluval FX5...........$340 plus i figure their will be another type of filtration????
Heaters (at least 2).......$100

This alone is close to 3 grand.................Once you figure in the gravel, plants, lighting system, tank decor(Driftwood...etc) and the most important part....The fish!..............Then you have to take in account for all the chemicals, that would need to be on hand.......Plus the guy doing the maintainance, needs to earn a living........Depending on the contract length, i dont think your boss is getting the shaft, considering, he shouldnt have to do a thing, but enjoy the tank!..........

That being said, i could never afford to go down this road, nor would i............I actually enjoy maintaining my tanks, ALMOST as much as the fish!

MoneyMitch 12-02-2009 03:57 PM

hes getting everything dont have any specifics as far as fish equip or plant type go. supposivly he wont ever have to do anything except feed the fish. but for around 250-300 a monht the tank gets all it needs io guess. ill get some pix when my boss gets the tank installed and they have it all set up.

Fishin Pole 12-02-2009 04:27 PM

Please do get pics................cant wait to see the HUGE tank!...............

willieturnip 12-02-2009 04:32 PM

Yeah definitely get pictures.

Still cant figure the price out though. I could set my 150 up as freshwater (including the tank) for under 300..

Angel079 12-02-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 284032)
but for around 250-300 a monht the tank gets all it needs io guess.

:shock: dang I should reconsider my profession here...heck just maintaining a dozen tank/months makes a neat living that way and I'd find it a pretty cool job / relaxing too cause I don't deal with nasty customers:lol:

Byron 12-02-2009 07:12 PM

If there are lots of plants and they are healthy and growing, and the fish load is within reason--by which I mean far less than most of us like to see in an aquarium--it will be fine with one water change a month. Some authorities advocate one pwc every six months or less--but that only works when the fish load is minimal and balanced by the plants. Don't know how reliable this store is, but if they are knowledgeable and recommend a sensible stocking, and provided the fish are totally compatible respecting water parameters and behaviours, it will work. And feeding will have to be carefully controlled.

Byron.