Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   DIY Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/)
-   -   Foam Filters (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/foam-filters-33245/)

PedrosPinnacle 12-02-2009 09:43 AM

Foam Filters

I'm interested in making a foam filter for my 75g. Any opinions on the best foam to use? I want foam that won't clog and will facilitate the best bacteria growth for biological filtration. Thanks.

bearwithfish 12-02-2009 01:35 PM

any car wash sponge that is either marked aquarium safe or that you are sure has no soaps or chemicals on it... i get mine at the local dollar store.....

abunari 12-03-2009 06:02 AM

I found someone that used the green scrub pads in the canister filters for mechanical filtration also! Think ill try both and see how it works..should work.

PedrosPinnacle 12-03-2009 09:50 AM

Thanks for the responses. Here's a challenge. Is it possible to make an effective filter without using electricity? This would take some trial and error. Could you initially create enough suction to create a working pump free of plugs?

bearwithfish 12-03-2009 11:52 AM

interesting thought... i have not seen anything of this sort out there if any one has or if you do please keep us posted that would be great in the set up i am building in the new house!!!!!! most are either pump or air driven

PedrosPinnacle 12-03-2009 12:16 PM

I had originally thought you could create a simple siphon that just continually circulates. The problem is that the outbound end would have to be lower than the intake. Maybe you could find a way to mount the sponge filter intake up high in the aquarium and then have the filtered water come out near the substrate. Although you would still need a form of surface movement for oxygen and I wouldnt want the outbound water to kick up substrate debris everywhere. I might run some experiments with this. Anything is possible!!!

Angel079 12-03-2009 07:38 PM

What I used in the smaller tanks that I learned overseas, which there pretty much ANYONE in any tank size used may help you out, just punch in googel HMF or hamburger mattenfilter see if you like the idea.
You can get the filter foam in any LFS, I always put it across the sides like a lil rounded triangle and a SMALL pump behind it, its a maintence free very awesome DYI filter system.

PedrosPinnacle 12-04-2009 01:54 PM

Do those HMF's have any chemical filtration?

bearwithfish 12-04-2009 02:28 PM

i was looking at them and i think you could modify it to have some if you wanted to but with a good bacteria set up on it yo may not need any...

PedrosPinnacle 12-04-2009 03:03 PM

Plus I read that once a tank is heavily planted, activated carbon isn't necessary anyways. I'm gonna set up a small 30g project tank in the next few months. I'll give this filter a try and post the results. Angel, what kind of foam did you use with yours? I have also read some articles on the importance of flow rates to maximize bacteria colonies. Did you worry about flow-rates when setting yours up? Thanks.