Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Kennyi mating question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/kennyi-mating-question-33236/)

andrewr2488 12-02-2009 12:38 AM

Kennyi mating question

Well, I have 5 Kennyi, 3 Sure Female, 1 Sure Male, and 1 I'm not sure of its sex, Or if its a full Kennyi.. It's showing more female kennyi colors now than before which apparently is not uncommon with this species. Well long story short, I just got the male today, within the first 5 minutes him and the kennyi that i wasnt sure the sex of started doing the "ritual." I went back in about 45 minutes later and she seemed as though she was carrying eggs just from the look of her mouth. They're both quite young, Female is about 2" long and male about 1.75" long. Male showed very nice colors at the store but once he was bagged he started to show a less dominant yellow and more of the female color. His fins were still showing male yellow coloring along with his belly, but his sides started to show a female coloration. once home he started to liven up, but hasn't yet gained his full yellow that he was showing in the stores tank. The temperature in the tank is 83F, pH is 7.0, Ammonia is 0, Nitrite and Nitrate is 0. I'm doing PWC every 3 days, My 50g tank is in the process of being setup and should be done within 1 weeks time, at which point I'll be transferring my cichlids to the 50g tank. I've sort of rambled off topic, My main question would be is it possible for them to breed at that size? I'm not sure at what age they reach sexual maturity. Also, once they started their mating dance the female started to show her blue coloration alot more.

1077 12-02-2009 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewr2488 (Post 283767)
Well, I have 5 Kennyi, 3 Sure Female, 1 Sure Male, and 1 I'm not sure of its sex, Or if its a full Kennyi.. It's showing more female kennyi colors now than before which apparently is not uncommon with this species. Well long story short, I just got the male today, within the first 5 minutes him and the kennyi that i wasnt sure the sex of started doing the "ritual." I went back in about 45 minutes later and she seemed as though she was carrying eggs just from the look of her mouth. They're both quite young, Female is about 2" long and male about 1.75" long. Male showed very nice colors at the store but once he was bagged he started to show a less dominant yellow and more of the female color. His fins were still showing male yellow coloring along with his belly, but his sides started to show a female coloration. once home he started to liven up, but hasn't yet gained his full yellow that he was showing in the stores tank. The temperature in the tank is 83F, pH is 7.0, Ammonia is 0, Nitrite and Nitrate is 0. I'm doing PWC every 3 days, My 50g tank is in the process of being setup and should be done within 1 weeks time, at which point I'll be transferring my cichlids to the 50g tank. I've sort of rambled off topic, My main question would be is it possible for them to breed at that size? I'm not sure at what age they reach sexual maturity. Also, once they started their mating dance the female started to show her blue coloration alot more.

Your tank parameters indicate a possibly (cycling) aquarium? No nitrates.
Colors of fish may be due to slightly softer water than recommended for that species. If water is not to their liking and they do manage to spawn,Is likely that fish could eat the eggs. most of what I have read on these fish indicate preferred ph of 7.8 to 9.0.

andrewr2488 12-02-2009 04:54 PM

I have some Florida Crushed Coral in which I plan to add to raise the pH. I am using an emp 400 filter so I'll add some to the extra media cartridge. Not sure how much to add though.. Does a little do the trick or is it something that needs a big ammount to be effective.

Fishin Pole 12-02-2009 05:54 PM

Kenyii's to me are one of the more interesting cichlids, when it comes to their color morphing into adulthood.......I personally have never breed mine, but watching the males go thru the process is stunning to say the least.........I remeber the one male i had years ago, he was tiny when i got him, so i was able to see the colors chnage over time as he matured......He could be a very bright pink, then orange or go from a light blue to a very pale green, eventually the yellow came dominant, but with more than one male in the tank, its not unusual for the sub dominant males to retain a bluish tint to their colors............Some of the color issues, could be the difference from pet store lights and your lights..........Reaching a certain size for sexual maturity isnt a good way to measure it, fishes growth can be affected by diet, genetics, frequency of water changes and tank size.............I would say, your fish are probably going thru the ritual, and as stated by 1077, given the oppurtunity, the other fish will TRY to eat the eggs, its gonna all depend on the aggression and size of the parents, if alot of them make it to a size not to get eaten..............

andrewr2488 12-02-2009 07:06 PM

Yeah I'm not sure whats exactly going on, Ive never had kenyi before. I bought the sure male kenyi last night, It was yellow with faint black stripes. The other said cichlid was one I thought was a male at the store, but in the 2 weeks Ive had it, the male coloration has never shown. Closest would be a jade green coloration. I'll get pictures of both of the kenyi and see if anyone can confirm what they are.