Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   black ghost tank mates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/black-ghost-tank-mates-33215/)

rbelchak1988 12-01-2009 08:39 PM

black ghost tank mates

I have done some reading and I bought a black ghost with some incorrect info given, I was told he would be fine with any friendly fish well now I have 2 half eaten fish in my tank. What other fish will do fine with black ghosts? I have a scat, gouramis, guppys, cichlids about 3 inches long, and others.

aunt kymmie 12-02-2009 10:27 AM

Hi rbelchak1988, welcome to the forum! What size is your tank?? Exactly how many fish are in the tank right now??

rbelchak1988 12-02-2009 11:27 AM

starting with this 20 gallon and there is a 3 inch scat, 3 inch rosey barb and a rainbow and red tail shark. The ghost is about 4-5 inches. Im searching around I want a 50 gallon or larger tank.

mastermindc3pro 12-02-2009 11:53 AM

Hi and welcome, which fish were eaten??

rbelchak1988 12-02-2009 12:06 PM

the fish eaten were 2 smaller cherry barbs

tsweers89 12-30-2009 01:48 PM

You are in desperate need of a bigger tank. A ghost knife needs at least a 70g if not bigger when it is fully grown. I wouldnt even put just the ghost knife in a 20g even when its small. Best to hurry up and find a bigger tank

iamntbatman 01-08-2010 01:23 AM

Unfortunately you're going to have all kinds of problems with that tank. As was stated ghost knives need a really large tank (75g minimum) as they grow quite long. Your barb needs some of his own kind to school with as schooling fish do really poorly when they're not in big enough groups. Your rainbow and redtailed sharks are going to fight with one another so I recommend only keeping one of those. The scat is a brackish water fish that shouldn't be kept in freshwater. I would return it as soon as possible.

What other fish do you have? Guppies will be eaten by the BGK. Do you still have any gouramis or cichlids? If so, what kinds?

Ghost knives do best housed with fish too large to be eaten that aren't very aggressive, which somewhat limits your list of appropriate tankmates for them.

almostotaku 02-02-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman (Post 301869)
Unfortunately you're going to have all kinds of problems with that tank. As was stated ghost knives need a really large tank (75g minimum) as they grow quite long. Your barb needs some of his own kind to school with as schooling fish do really poorly when they're not in big enough groups. Your rainbow and redtailed sharks are going to fight with one another so I recommend only keeping one of those. The scat is a brackish water fish that shouldn't be kept in freshwater. I would return it as soon as possible.

What other fish do you have? Guppies will be eaten by the BGK. Do you still have any gouramis or cichlids? If so, what kinds?

Ghost knives do best housed with fish too large to be eaten that aren't very aggressive, which somewhat limits your list of appropriate tankmates for them.

In fact, you can convert a scat to saltwater easily.

iamntbatman 02-02-2010 04:36 PM

As far as I know, you don't even really need to "convert" them. As they grow you just increase their salinity until they're living in full marine as adults. I've always read that they essentially need to be in full marine conditions as adults in order to be healthy.

CSGT Scowen 02-09-2010 05:38 AM

G'day mate,
I have a BGK and he/she is (I don't know american measurment) about 7inches about.
I have a really diverse tank which the BGK loves.

I have about 10 Sword tails
3 Silver dollars
bout 6 bristle nose catfish
and a lonely Bala Shark (Silver shark).

I have never had any problems with the BGK with the other fish so i think it may be a good combination.

Cheers,
CSGT Scowen
218 Squadron
AAFC