Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Snails and Loaches (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/snails-loaches-33176/)

Ramenuzumaki 12-01-2009 10:10 AM

Snails and Loaches

So ive read a lot about them. apparently many species of loaches love to eat snails. Dojo/weather loaches in particular. however, what im curious is: how quickly will this work? i mean would i have to not feed my loaches for a while to make them want to actually use the snails as a food source or will they just simply say "oh im hungry. oh look a snack om nom nom munch sucky lump slirp yum!"

also i have a little five gallon tank with 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 snails
yep one sextillion snails [yes thats a real number]
not really that many but yeah a lot of snails
i was curious if i put one loach in their just temporarily to get rid of some of the snails would he/she go right into it within the next 24 hours and start eating them or should i just use the lettuce method of reducing the snail pop?

any comments would be appreciated :)

1077 12-01-2009 11:09 AM

Actually, Another member here, Fishinpole,, suggested a quicker method. Just get a section of hose approx 1/4 to 1/2 inch in diameter. Place the bait in the tank (lettuce or algae wafers) and let the snails climb aboard. Then use the section of hose like a gravel vaccum and suck the little buggers up. The end of the gravel vaccum I have, is too big around but by pulling the end off that I stick in the tank to gravel vac,, It creates much more suction and quickly sucks em right up. May take several times to rid the majority of them.

kelly528 12-01-2009 03:24 PM

I just vacuum snails out of the substrate whenever I do a water change lol. I don't think one loach will eradicate snails at any sort of speed, however my Batik loach just goes nuts whenever I drop one in the tank... he wiggles around and lunges at it and sort of tosses it around. I call him the snail snarfer. Definitely handy for a nutritious treat.

teddyzaper 12-01-2009 05:53 PM

my JD eats all my snails, at first i tried to put some in to keep the little bit of algea that was in there gone but i just gave up because no matter what i did they couldnt even reach the bottom.

Ramenuzumaki 12-01-2009 07:41 PM

JD?

aunt kymmie 12-01-2009 07:46 PM

Jack Dempsey

Ramenuzumaki 12-01-2009 08:09 PM

oh
we dont have any here

Byron 12-03-2009 12:22 PM

I would not suggest a loach in a 5g tank to eradicate snails. Loaches are social fish and should (=must) be kept in a group or they will be stressed and that means unhealthy. Some also grow large. There is no acceptable species of loach for a 5g tank because of the fore-going.

Snails appear if food is available. They won't live if they have no food. And removing them by the methods suggested by prior responses is preferable.

Byron.

Ramenuzumaki 12-03-2009 08:21 PM

yeah i guess lol
i was going to keep him in there forever just until it eats most of the nail pop >:D