Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish-diseases/)
-   -   black spots on yellow tang (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish-diseases/black-spots-yellow-tang-3317/)

kilravn 02-14-2007 08:27 AM

black spots on yellow tang

i had the same problem i read in another post. my yellow tang got ick and then it seemed to go away after 2 weeks or so. after the ick went away almost instantly the tang got bumps appearing to be pushing out from inside.he scratched on a rock for about a week and the bumps went away. now he is still scratching on rocks and i noticed that he has very very tiny black spots. these spots are so small i had to just about put my nose on the glass and had the light have to hit the fish the right way for me to see them.i am wondering if it a different stage of the icks life cycle or a different parasite all together.

temp= 78
ph = 8.1
ammonia= 0
nitrite= 0
nitate= 15

Melissa 02-14-2007 08:41 AM

it sounds like black ich, which is a parasitic worm. It can be a little more difficult than white spot to get rid of. For fish-only tanks that have no freshwater sensitive invertebrates present, you can use hyposalinity to treat it. Slowly lower the salinity in your tank for a few days. you can also give your fish a frshwater dip.

usmc121581 02-14-2007 08:45 AM

It sounds like black ick. they are the same thing but different color. Just keep him well feed. That way he is strong enough to fight off the infection. Do you have a UV sterilizer? What do you have in your tank? If its a fish only raise the temp up to about 81 to speed up the life cycle of ick. If thats the only fish you have, when the ick hatchs from the cyst it needs to find a host in 24 hrs or it will die. So if your tank is big enough and it is has a 1 or 2 fish the chances of ick finding a host in that time is low.

kilravn 02-14-2007 08:47 AM

i do have a few hermitts, 1 emerald crab, and 1 peppermint shrimp will gradually lowering the salinity kill them or should i use a quarintine tank.
if so i have a 10 gal. tank but no filter or anything. how long should tang be isolated? would it bee better to move crabs and shrimp to 10 gal. and treat tang in main tank?

kilravn 02-14-2007 08:49 AM

tang is the only fish in tank will raising temp affect crabs and shrimp

usmc121581 02-14-2007 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilravn
i do have a few hermitts, 1 emerald crab, and 1 peppermint shrimp will gradually lowering the salinity kill them or should i use a quarintine tank.
if so i have a 10 gal. tank but no filter or anything. how long should tang be isolated? would it bee better to move crabs and shrimp to 10 gal. and treat tang in main tank?

It would depend on what you have in your main tank! I would never suggest that you do that especially with copper as copper will be a pain to remove from everything. When I get ick I let it be. I do nothing about it.

kilravn 02-14-2007 08:52 AM

i do not want to and copper or any chemicals to the tank. i will just keep feeding him to keep his immune system up and i will let you guys know what happens. thanks for all your help. hope to talk to you again soon

Melissa 02-14-2007 08:54 AM

it will, but if you want to you can put the crabs and shrimp in a different tank. The 10 gallon will be to small to treat your tang in, it will just stress him out more being in it. So take out your crabs and shrimp in the main tank and raise the temp in it. that is assuming you have no other corals or inverts.

Melissa 02-14-2007 08:55 AM

oh, and you could also get a garlic additive and soak his food in it. This will help him eat better and stay healthy.

usmc121581 02-14-2007 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilravn
i do not want to and copper or any chemicals to the tank. i will just keep feeding him to keep his immune system up and i will let you guys know what happens. thanks for all your help. hope to talk to you again soon

That is what I wanted to hear. Invest in a UV sterilizer then This will help out big time.