Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Protein Skimmer suggestions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/protein-skimmer-suggestions-33146/)

CamryDS 11-30-2009 05:25 PM

Protein Skimmer suggestions
 
Current I bought the oceanic BC29 protein skimmer -- but I found a Aquatic Life Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115

I heard that the skimmer is decent, but I don't know if it'll fit -- does anyone else have any resources associated with this protein skimmer or any other one that will work well in an oceanic biocube 29?

ack - wrong forum -- please mod move it to the correct equipment forum -- thank you

Pasfur 11-30-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamryDS (Post 282903)
ack - wrong forum -- please mod move it to the correct equipment forum -- thank you

As you wish.

I have no experience with the biocube's. Sorry, can't help. I believe BettaBaby will be your best resource.

CamryDS 12-01-2009 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasfur (Post 282929)
As you wish.

I have no experience with the biocube's. Sorry, can't help. I believe BettaBaby will be your best resource.

heh -- thank you for moving the thread. i'll pm her for now, until I get some type of answer =)

bettababy 12-03-2009 01:18 PM

Sorry I'm away so much... holidays and other things don't allow me a whole lot of time here right now.

I did measure the chamber in the biocube and that skimmer won't fit. I also emailed my husband to ask him what skimmers the company can suggest for that tank. Personally, I don't use a skimmer... but I know he had a skimmer running on this tank at the office, just no idea what it was. I'll come back and post a reply as soon as I hear from him. I will also find out if the skimmer he used worked well or if he has other, better ideas for you.

Hang on a little bit longer please, will get back asap.

bettababy 12-03-2009 02:36 PM

Due to lack of time, I'm going to just copy/paste hubby's reply about the skimmer for biocube 29... if you have further questions please ask.

"The foot print will fit but the issue may be the height of the collection cup. The lid has a recession of about 2.25 inches. They would have to remove all the bio balls and set it in the middle chamber. The only other thing I am not sure about is how it would mount in the chamber.
Currently the only skimmers made to fit the biocube 29 is the Oceanic skimmer run by a wooden air block or CPR has (or had, I can’t find it on foster & smith website now or on CPR’s website) a skimmer made to fit the center chamber of the filter section."

I hope this helps.

bettababy 12-03-2009 02:56 PM

I did a quick search for the CPR skimmer my husband suggested... you can find it here

CPR Aquatics SR3 Protein Skimmer Aquarium Sump SR3 Skimmer Salt Water Saltwater

CamryDS 12-03-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bettababy (Post 284558)
I did a quick search for the CPR skimmer my husband suggested... you can find it here

CPR Aquatics SR3 Protein Skimmer Aquarium Sump SR3 Skimmer Salt Water Saltwater

thanks for all the research help =D greatly appreciated!!!

Duke1 01-07-2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamryDS (Post 282903)
Current I bought the oceanic BC29 protein skimmer -- but I found a Aquatic Life Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115

I heard that the skimmer is decent, but I don't know if it'll fit -- does anyone else have any resources associated with this protein skimmer or any other one that will work well in an oceanic biocube 29?

ack - wrong forum -- please mod move it to the correct equipment forum -- thank you

Hey Camry DS. I have a BC29 and I have the AquaticLife Internal mini skimmer 115 in the 1st chamber and it works well. I run a reef tank, so I don't ues the carbon filter, any stock sponges, or bioballs.

I have the skimmer in chamber 1; chaeto (macro algae) in chamber 2 with filter floss over the drip tray (DIY fuge light outside on back of chamber 2 (scraped the black film off the glass on back of BC29); in chamber 3 I have an upgraded pump Rio HF6 and a 100watt heater. Then I have a hydor flo on the bulkhead simulating waves into the tank.

I know the people on the previous replies are very knowledgeable, but I thought I would help you out with 1st hand experience with this situation.

CamryDS 01-10-2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke1 (Post 301678)
Hey Camry DS. I have a BC29 and I have the AquaticLife Internal mini skimmer 115 in the 1st chamber and it works well. I run a reef tank, so I don't ues the carbon filter, any stock sponges, or bioballs.

I have the skimmer in chamber 1; chaeto (macro algae) in chamber 2 with filter floss over the drip tray (DIY fuge light outside on back of chamber 2 (scraped the black film off the glass on back of BC29); in chamber 3 I have an upgraded pump Rio HF6 and a 100watt heater. Then I have a hydor flo on the bulkhead simulating waves into the tank.

I know the people on the previous replies are very knowledgeable, but I thought I would help you out with 1st hand experience with this situation.


hi -- thank you for that info

right now my skimmer is in the 2nd chamber, and I clean my filter floss each day. I've broke off the 1/2 wall on chamber 1 so it provides more flow into the rear chambers. I've left the oem pump in the tank, there's enough flow right now and I have a koralia 1 inside blowing.

bettababy 01-12-2010 01:50 PM

Duke,
Can I ask what brand heater you are working with and where you maintain your temp? I have found it a bit challenging to find a heater that fits into the 29 biocube and I end up relying on the heat of the room and the heat output from the lights and pump to maintain my temp. I have already gone through 2 heaters because the water level in the sump doesn't cover a submersible completely and doesn't reach a high enough level on a hang on.

I'd be very interested to know what others are doing about this problem?

Thanks in advance.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2