Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Livebearers that wont eat their young? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/livebearers-wont-eat-their-young-33103/)

mastermindc3pro 11-29-2009 11:01 PM

Livebearers that wont eat their young?

Im just wondering are their any fresh water livebearers that will not eat their young that i could put in a 30 gallon tank?

aquariangel 11-30-2009 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastermindc3pro (Post 282521)
Im just wondering are their any fresh water livebearers that will not eat their young that i could put in a 30 gallon tank?

Hi, most livebearers do eat their young, but unlike many other live bearers Platys are unlikely to eat their own fry especially with a lot of plant cover available. But to minimize the risk the male should be removed after a couple of weeks and the female once she has given birth. You could also use a breeder net which is inexpensive and hangs on the side of the tank. It's a safe place for the female to birth. After she drops pull the female and return her to the main portion of the tank. You'll want to be prepared to move the fry to grow out so the 30 gal doesn't become overcrowded though.

Here are some links for information on livebearers. Hope they're helpful.

Freshwater Livebearers; Guppies, Mollies, Platties, Swordtails, Endlers

Breeding Guppies and Swordtails

Poeciliid Fishes: Mollies, Platies, Guppies, Swordtails

mastermindc3pro 11-30-2009 09:52 AM

Thank you they were helpful, but is it basically just platys i can get away with

redlessi 11-30-2009 11:04 AM

I have a tank full of guppies with many batches of fry. I never use a breeders net but I have a lot of hiding places in java moss, hornwort and lots of fake plants. I cant say for certain that some do not get eaten but there are so many that survive. They overtook my 35 gallon tank within a few months, now they are in a 72 gallon tank. They dont even hide anymore, you can sit and watch all these little dots with eyes swimming around. I also have dwarf sunset platies that have had a few batches of fry but only a few survived, I think because they are such a bright orange color. I am now thinking about what I can add to the tank for birth control. Be prepared for a bijillion fry and what to do with them. Good Luck

mastermindc3pro 11-30-2009 01:26 PM

hahahaha mad funny at the tank birth control

aquariangel 11-30-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlessi (Post 282671)
I have a tank full of guppies with many batches of fry. I never use a breeders net but I have a lot of hiding places in java moss, hornwort and lots of fake plants.

Well to be honest we haven't really used the nets yet either although we do have a couple. And yeah, the fry will hide given the right surroundings. We have duck weed (OMG! Do we have duck weed LOL) and java moss in the tanks for that purpose. I thought a breeder may be better if they're just starting out. Easier to see the process and get better approximation of how many fry were dropped.

I cant say for certain that some do not get eaten but there are so many that survive. They overtook my 35 gallon tank within a few months, now they are in a 72 gallon tank. They dont even hide anymore, you can sit and watch all these little dots with eyes swimming around.

It IS awesome watching them all swim around isn't it? So you went to a 72 now huh? NIIIICE...:-)

I took a pic of one of our grow out tanks with my zoom lense from the other side of the room. When I viewed the picture one of the fry was swimming straight on towards the camera and I swear the little sucker is grinning! I'll have to post somewhere, it's funny.

I also have dwarf sunset platies that have had a few batches of fry but only a few survived, I think because they are such a bright orange color. I am now thinking about what I can add to the tank for birth control. Be prepared for a bijillion fry and what to do with them.

Could always be used as live food for larger fish. In fact one of the females from a previous birth was deformed (spine bent) so we didn't want her to suffer and put her in the 55 gal community. At the time I think our [african] cichlids were in there. We assumed she'd been eaten right way. Turns out she's still kickin! Now we figure if she's made it this long and there's no chance of her breeding she's going to be a resident with the angels now occupying the tank.

Birth control.....ROFLMAO

Good Luck

Ditto

Oldman47 12-06-2009 11:40 PM

A few livebearers are very easy on their young. Among the ones in my own tanks are endlers, Green goodeids, Limia melanogaster, Limia perugia, common fish store mollies, Xenotoca eiseni (red tailed goodeids), Xenotaenia resolanae (leopard goodeids), Xenophallus umbratilis (golden teddies), Xenoophorus captivus (green goodeids), Ameca splendens (butterfly goodeids) and Heterandria formosa (least killies). Well fed guppies are also quite easy on their fry although they will eat a few. They can end up looking like this fairly quickly if you are not careful though.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...yCover_640.jpg