Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Worst Luck (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/worst-luck-33095/)

bmister360 11-29-2009 08:25 PM

Worst Luck

I am attempting to breed guppies but i am having the worst of luck. First after the one female dropped the fry my one algi fish swam and knocked a sea shell on her head so she is dead. Today i look in my aquarium and find that my other femal is wrapped around the pole of the filter. Either I am bad at kepping them or its just really bad luck. :-(

mastermindc3pro 11-29-2009 10:00 PM

wow at the sea shell crushing her head lol, thats just terrible luck.

Neptune 11-30-2009 02:33 PM

Ditto. lol

bmister360 11-30-2009 02:59 PM

It isnt funny :( :P

Neptune 11-30-2009 03:02 PM

Just get two or three more females. And have you done a fry count today?

dramaqueen 11-30-2009 11:21 PM

I'm so sorry about your females.

mastermindc3pro 12-01-2009 11:55 AM

I am curious have you gotten any new females to attempt to breed with your males?

Neptune 12-01-2009 03:49 PM

No, he hasnt. He has a rather young female feeder guppy i gave him. My fish decided not to eat it. He's my good friend in real life, that's how i got him on this forum. Hes still got 16 fry alive though.

Maryrox247 12-04-2009 12:59 AM

Hi. i breed guppies and my advice would be to get two breeders nets one a little big and one smaller with a v shaped divider fpr the babies to fall through. when you think momma is about to pop put her in the smaller breeders net and feed her as you normally would and when you see fry if she is still giving birth turn the tank lights off and cover it with a towel ( saved me loads of fry) this may take a few hours trust me. when she is done place her in the bigger breeders net with the lights on remove the divider ( after taking momma out) of the smaller breeders net so the fry have some space and check on the mom from time to time for about an hour so you can rescue any fry that are born if any. Afer about a day of the mom being in the big breeders net realease her ( you keep her in the breeders net so she can heal and not be harassed by males) and as for the sea shell thing i never use sea shells because the get the most disgusting looking algeae in them! or at least the conch ones. just take it out. and as for the filter female im so sorry. maybe you could try purchasinga sponge filter? happy breeding and im sorry about your luck but my first breeding was "unlucky" too you will get the hang of it and soon you will be the one giving advice!

bmister360 12-04-2009 03:45 PM

AHHH! my other female just died and my male is no where to be seen but all the fry are doing good