Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   New Plants Dont Last week, fish are tearing them out (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/new-plants-dont-last-week-fish-330698/)

ralphdudex 01-11-2014 12:42 AM

New Plants Dont Last week, fish are tearing them out

I just added anuibis to drift wood and anothrt to rock, how long does it take to attach. water lilly from bulbs actually sprouted should they be foreground or back? Any kompakt dont last out the same with witeria

Thanks

DKRST 01-11-2014 04:28 PM

First, what size tank, what type of fish and what's the substrate?

True water lily's usually get way too big for most tanks, foreground or background. Anubias can take weeks or months to attach really securely on objects, it grows slowly.

I'm totally confused by your last sentence...?

ralphdudex 01-12-2014 12:33 AM

It is 20 gallon tank, the other plants are hygrophila 'kompakt' these are the ones getting jacked up, i had water lilly up front had to move to back of tank.

ralphdudex 01-12-2014 12:34 AM

It is 20 gallon tank, the other plants are hygrophila 'kompakt' these are the ones getting jacked up, i had water lilly up front had to move to back of tank.

ralphdudex 01-12-2014 12:53 AM

I added a small piece of driftwood week ago

I already had a decent size piece, it's a 20 gallon tank. PH is low but amnonia and nitrates are reading yellow in test tubes, How do I raise the PH it's probably like 6 or pale yellow on the chart.

ralphdudex 01-14-2014 12:08 AM

How many posts before can do aquarium chat?

Trying to get answer on why Hygrophila Kompakt plants cant survive a couple of days without the fish jacking it up

rsskylight04 01-14-2014 12:45 AM

What kind of fish do you have?
There might be more to it thanjust rambunctiousness and aggression.

My cichlids used to destroy plants in under 24 hours till I started feeding them fresh veg. Now I can keep plants in with them. They love frozen corn and peas... won't eat green beans or carrots. They still uproot a plant or two a couple times a week but before it was just shreds I would find in the tank the next day. If its your fish that are messing up your plants, try feeding fresh (frozen) veg at each feeding. Worked wonders for me.

You can raise ph A LITTLE by adding coral sand to your tank or a bag in your filter, or use limestone for decoration. It will GRADUALY leach into the water and raise both ph and kh ( carbonate hardness) a little.

ralphdudex 01-15-2014 12:08 AM

I have small pleco, 2 angelfish, 2 swordtails, 2 black mollies, 3 platys, 2 pandabear mollies, couple of shrimp that i dont see, always hiding.

ralphdudex 01-15-2014 12:35 AM

Will adding limestone affect these fish?

rsskylight04 01-15-2014 01:11 AM

Of your fish, the only ones I would worry about would be the mollies. I don't KNOW that they are sensetive to it , but they are weird fish that I really don't know a lot about. The other fish will be fine, definitly.