Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   pair of Angels laid eggs… (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/pair-angels-laid-eggs-330354/)

willow 01-10-2014 11:23 AM

pair of Angels laid eggs…

hi all
a pair of my Angels have laid eggs….hasty exit of the other pair out
of the tank as they are being bullied….got them a tank today(bullied pair)
as an emergency ….this is my next question !
what though do i do about the pair that have laid eggs in the inlet pipe
of the big tank,as they share their space with guppys,loaches,barbs,corys,
neons,serpae tetras.

question 2
how big of a tank should a pair of Angels be in.?

as always thanks in advance.

Austin 01-10-2014 04:50 PM

That's awesome!!!! :D my old (passed) angelfish used to love the inlet tube as well. Not sure what your question is though exactly. What you should do depends on if you want he babies or not and such. You can remove the eggs and hatch them artificially, let the parents raise them (most likely fairly unsuccessfully), etc.

The general consensus I've seen when looking up angelfish seems to be a 20H for a pair is what breeders seem to use, although I don't have person experience. Of course the bigger the better but that seems to be the minimum.

Sorry I'm not a ton of help. :D but that's so exciting :)! Pics!

willow 01-10-2014 04:58 PM

thanks so much for replying :-D
well not sure if the male or female takes more care of the eggs,
but one of them(the same one each time) protects more,and fans
the eggs with its fins….simply adorable to watch..
they rush to the front of the tank when i approach,then seem to back off
when they realise i am the bringer of food !
i don't think i would want to put my hand in the tank lol i know they don't have teeth
however they are very aggressive all the same.
i've not worked out yet how to post pics as i have a new phone,and need to learn
how to up load them then post.

Captain Jim Dandy 01-10-2014 07:10 PM

Angel spawning never gets old..what color angels paired up, Willow? The 20 gallon(don't know liters) high tank is a minimum..They just seem a little crowded there,..I don't mind using a 29 gallon, and I love the old style 33 longs. Look into offerring a removable slate for next egg laying and use a small extra tank to hatch eggs..Barbs, Danios,Loaches are going to try you with getting to those eggs. Congrats on the happy pair!

Agent13 01-10-2014 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow (Post 3716762)
thanks so much for replying :-D
well not sure if the male or female takes more care of the eggs,
but one of them(the same one each time) protects more,and fans
the eggs with its fins….simply adorable to watch..
they rush to the front of the tank when i approach,then seem to back off
when they realise i am the bringer of food !
i don't think i would want to put my hand in the tank lol i know they don't have teeth
however they are very aggressive all the same.
i've not worked out yet how to post pics as i have a new phone,and need to learn
how to up load them then post.

One of my angel pairs lay eggs on the intake often. I dont care to breed so i leave it be. Also I do not remove my other pair and the single angel. They do protect their eggs but it doesnt seem to cause much stress . Both male and female fan the eggs in my tank. Its cute. If you dont care about raising fry then leave it be. Once they lay they will again. Ive contemplated posting pics of my crazy egg layers but ive had my mind on other things these days. I think eventually i will post thise pics.

Side note.. Do not worry about their teeth!! My white top hara has bitten me and its not bad . I promise his teeth are much worse!! Just look at my pic of him on "Agent has a new toy". Kid looks scary!!!

Austin 01-11-2014 12:02 AM

I like to use an app called "resize photo" to shrink them and then I use imgur.com to upload. Get th direct image link and you can post from your phone. :)!

willow 01-11-2014 06:27 AM

i just couldn't leave the other pair in with the breeding pair,
it was horrid to watch them getting beaten on all the time,then
begin to spend all their time hiding in the plants.:-(
they are doing well in the emergency tank,and as it it higher than the
tank they were in,i'm a little happier..although O.H really doesn't like
the new tank…he says it's horrible ! mehhhhhhh
then mr & mrs rescue i have noted that their papillia on both is non showing,
so do i have two females…and that they will be ok together ?

hang on the chat here…….dang….the filters not working on rescue tank…
brb.

Tolak 01-11-2014 09:25 AM

You could always drop a divider in the tank, anyone dealing with cichlids should have one handy if they don't have a spare tank ready to roll. Tall silk plants in front of items that are tough to remove like filter intakes works well, they spawn on the fake plant, you pull it out & put it in a hatching tank.

Bare 20 highs work OK for pairs, I upgraded to 29's years ago, veils do better in them with a couple more inches of water depth. 20's are great for initial growout, I transfer them to a 40b once they get a bit bigger.

Where you go from here depends on if you want to get into breeding or not. The spawn won't last long with a loach in the tank. You're looking at a 4 tank setup for one pair, small hatching tank, bigger initial growout, and bigger than that for final growout, plus the tank for the pair. I keep pairs in 29's, hatch in 5's, to a 20 then a 40. I use 150 gallon tubs for potential breeders or overstock, 55's for pairing tanks.

willow 01-11-2014 09:40 AM

hi Tolak
i was kinda hoping it would have not happened…but it has,
not many eggs left,although the parents are super vigilant.
i think may try leaving a slate in there tomorrow,water change day.
and see if they use it,if they do perhaps i'll try and bring them
on myself.

Agent13 01-11-2014 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow (Post 3719809)
hi Tolak
i was kinda hoping it would have not happened…but it has,
not many eggs left,although the parents are super vigilant.
i think may try leaving a slate in there tomorrow,water change day.
and see if they use it,if they do perhaps i'll try and bring them
on myself.

I could be wrong.. But i doubt they will use the slate. They prefer to spawn on broad leaf plants, and as it seems.. Intakes are rather popular with them too :lol: