Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   good trade!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/good-trade-33000/)

bearwithfish 11-28-2009 04:03 PM

good trade!!!

soooooo i was looking to get rid of my old canoe as i dont really use it any more and i posted it for cash or trade for a tank.... well thanks to the kindness of a wonderful gentalman i ended up with TWO tanks :-D!!
so i gave my wife the 45 gal with stand for her Birth day present (Moonstra here her b-day is tomorrow nov. 29th shhhhhhhh i didnt tell you)
and i got a 55 gal for myself !!! the only issue i can find with mine is the lack of a top frame the seals are good and its one of those really old school thick glass jobs made by Odel. after a little thinking i am going to make a wooden frame and hood combo for it and have it reinforced inside of the hood with the ever faithful DUCT TAPE..... lol you may laugh but that stuff really can hold and i wrapped it like three times!!!!:lol:
so i am not going to set it up untill after the move next month and then i will get it cycling and jump started off my other tanks. i think even though its a fresh water i am going with a sump (no other tanks on it). and this will be my project show tank... i have a few ideas about the set up
green sand
some branch like drift wood on each end with branches towards the ends
the overflow and return
thinking about painting the back in a black or other color (blue is over done)
having the regular light and a moon light all DIY of course
now i get over whelmed with the ideas on stocking
i want to get something a bit larger than the types of fish i am used to (guppies and platties) but i am really not sure... thought about clown loaches, or dwarf cichlids of some kind, or ??????? any suggestions or ideas i am not making my mind up yet and would love to hear ideas...

andrewr2488 11-28-2009 04:41 PM

Man, Congrats on the tanks! I'm sure whatever you do it will turn out nicely, How about an african setup with a few Synodontis Multipunctatus catfish? Thats the setup I'm working on for my 50g and I like how the cichlids get up to a nice size.

Angel079 11-28-2009 08:16 PM

Maybe built a hood like this and instead of having the parts that hold up the hood inside hidden like mine, built them around the corners for reinforcement if you think necessary http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...ictures-31856/
Have you considered window tint for car's? Goes on easy and give you a nice solid black look in the back, with paint it sometimes winds up looking spotty.
Why GREEN sand if I may ask?? I actually never even seen green sand, so you must have one heck of a LFS around you :-)
What water are you dealing with there (to suggest fish for ya).

That's all so awesome for you AND the wife!!! Congratulations!!! So how much you got now 3 or 4 tanks?

Romad 11-28-2009 08:27 PM

Nice score. Have fun setting them up.

bearwithfish 11-28-2009 08:34 PM

well as for tanks i am currentlt running a ten in my little ones room on ten one five and a twenty in my room a twenty in the living room and my wife is running a 29 in the living room. thats all until the move i still have these new ones and three tens that i dont have running yet oh and two two gals and about three or four 1 galls LOL....
as for the water i have to retest i just tossed the papers with the info i think my water is like perfect 7 ph, kh and gh were wierd each tank read different even though they all filled from the same source. i think they were 6, 3, 4, 3, and 1 ... i will check them again tomorrow and check the streight tap as well..... i condition with start right to dechlor.....

Angel079 11-29-2009 11:04 AM

You lost me...you have like 10 tanks there don't you!? :-) And what do my eyes read there UNUSED 10g...shame on you!!!
That's common thou, in all my 7 tanks prior, the parameters different slightly as well, that's due to gravel used in there, other decor rocks or bunch DW in some tanks etc etc, I NEVER had any given 2 tanks that were alike, nor in parameters nor anything else for that matter lol

bearwithfish 11-29-2009 12:25 PM

thats 6 running.... and 7or 9 not running (YET)lol

Angel079 11-29-2009 01:18 PM

[quote=bearwithfish;282022 and 7or 9 not running (YET)lol[/quote]
:shock: shame on you!!! Let's hope you have a nice & long Xmas vacation so you have some set-up time here!!! There's nothing better then having a bunch tanks in the house. Personally I always been dreaming about a fish room...;-)

bearwithfish 11-29-2009 01:32 PM

my hunny's xmass gift to me is the basement at the new house for me to build a fish room!!!!!!!!!!!!!