Tropical Fish Keeping banner

aquarium sand

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  NVmySSmaro 
#1 ·
I'm sure y'all are tired of hearing from me... but

For the 40 long I'm in the process of setting up, I wanted to do a sand substrate. However I would prefer to do a dark colored sand (black maybe?), but don't like the idea of the cost of colored sand. Being that I would need 40-50 lbs (i guess) it's looking to be right at 100 dollars for sand. What/where do you guys get your sand? I'll do normal color sand since I get that dirt (haha) cheap.

#2 ·
Don't know where you live, but in North America Home Depot carries play sand. In Canada it is a dark gray colour, resembling the substrate in some SA rivers. Other similar stores may have the same.
Landscape and stone places sometimes have gravels and sand. Just make sure it is inert, that is, not calcareous; this will add mineral to the water, raising hardness and pH, which is not desireable if you're after a soft acidic water setup.

B.

#3 ·
i have the sand from homedepot, it looked kind of orange when i bought it, but rinse it VERY VERY VERY well. now its gorgeous and very light tan colored.

50lbs for 2.49 here

#5 ·
if you get "aquarium" sand your gunna pay for the word "aquarium" to be on the bag. as others said shop around for landscapeing stores and at home dept and lowes. i used the normal play sand stuff washed it myself and couldnt be happier than spending less than 15$ for a 4 inch layer of sand on the bottom of my 55.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.