Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Angel fish has been acting weird (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/angel-fish-has-been-acting-weird-329705/)

Rdcork23 01-08-2014 11:38 PM

Angel fish has been acting weird

My angel fish who is still young (only about 2inches has been acting a bit strange in the last day or two. it wont eat, and all it does it stare at the top of the tank, or out of the tank at god knows what. My pH is fine, My ammonia is a little high but nothing too stressful. Just wondering if there was any advice out there? something i could do to get him back to normal

Rdcork23 01-09-2014 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 272058

This is all he has been doing all day and Yesturday

sandybottom 01-09-2014 12:44 AM

exactly how high is your ammonia?

Rdcork23 01-09-2014 03:11 PM

fluctuates between 2.0 an 0.25 right after water change. I bought ammonia remover, its an insert for my filter. and i bought ammonia tablets to get it under control.

willow 01-09-2014 03:20 PM

how long has the tank been running for before you added the fish ?
do you have any friends with aquariums ?

Rdcork23 01-09-2014 03:50 PM

It ran without any fish for about a week, and then I added two german rams and a redtailed shark. and then another week later i added the angel. and yeah my cousin has one. should i move him to a different tank untill my ammonia goes down?

rsskylight04 01-09-2014 04:31 PM

Waterchanges will keep ammonia down while your cycle stabilizes. I would do 25% every other day till nitrite and ammonia are 0.
Good luck!
Also...check temp and try keeping the light off for a day or so.
And your fish may feel more comfortable if you use an opaque backing for your tank.
Best wishes!

sandybottom 01-09-2014 04:52 PM

i recommend feeding fish lightly,every other day.getting some seachem prime water conditioner and dose daily until the end of your tank cycling at 2 drops per gallon.doing a 50% water change immediately.25% water change every other day after. test water daily for now.every time you see any ammonia or nitrite on the test,change your water.your fish was unresponsive due to high ammonia.at the amounts that you reported it is stressful and deadly to fish.read up on the cycling process. feel free to ask any questions that you have about cycling.

Rdcork23 01-09-2014 05:48 PM

Do you think he will be okay until i can get the ammonia down? How long can a fish such as an angel live in such high ammonia

sandybottom 01-09-2014 06:24 PM

you can get the ammonia down now by doing water changes and doing a good gravel vac. keeping the ammonia down by ways listed above.no fish will last long at high levels.they start getting damage right away to their gills etc.