Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Baby Guppy Survival (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/baby-guppy-survival-32966/)

bmister360 11-27-2009 10:26 PM

Baby Guppy Survival

Hello, I am a begginer at guppies and my female recently had babies and i do not have a breeder. I was wondering what is the most succesful way to helping the babies surviving. Please give me tips :-)

La Reina 11-27-2009 11:00 PM

I haven't bred any myself, but have been doing a lot of reading on the subject. It sounds like the best thing for them is to have lots of plants to hide in. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

jeaninel 11-28-2009 01:42 AM

I used to put my fry in a breeder box but I found that the ones that got left in the main tank grew faster and were stronger swimmers than the ones in the breeder box. I use lots of low bushy plants and floating plants for the babies to hide in (they can be fake or real). Some still get eaten by the parents but a lot still survive so I don't get inundated with babies.

fish999 11-28-2009 04:52 AM

Just my opinion but I'd go with lots of plants and let Darwin decide which ones survive, or somehow isolate the fry. If I had 2 tanks I'd separate the pregnant ones before they give birth and move them back out of the fry tank afterwards.

Maybe use a plastic birth container with the "V" at the bottom to hold the mommy fish then move her back out? They used to make those things where you just hang them on the side or float them.

bearwithfish 11-28-2009 06:58 AM

those things stress out the mama far to much .... but all the other advice is right on so far....

Neptune 11-28-2009 09:43 AM

Dont know if it woudl work or not, just a wild thought....

I read somewhere about a lady using mopheads she made out of yarn (That doesnt't rot in water) And a cork for egg-layers. So a thought here if u had one or two of those, it could probably work for hiding the fry. :) Feel free to tell me how stupid my idea was :P

bmister360 11-28-2009 11:29 AM

Thanks for the suggestions :) It seems right now the offspring are surviving :) but i only have a ten galloon and am not allowed to buy plants but hopefully they will survive and i will get a breeder soon thank you

La Reina 11-28-2009 11:32 AM

The plants donm't need to be real, just get some el cheapo plastic ones for them to hide in.

xomcsox 11-28-2009 12:07 PM

I just left them in there and they did perfectly fine but i dont know how yours will do but mine are still living it has been 1 year and they are still living

Oldman47 11-28-2009 12:34 PM

I have a clump of java moss in my guppy tank and it is time I removed some. More fry survive than I really have room to keep. I have sold off about 10 adults a fortnight back and will be doing the same in less than a week. After that, my tank will just be a bit too crowded.