Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   some new stuff, PICS!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/some-new-stuff-pics-32959/)

teddyzaper 11-27-2009 10:03 PM

some new stuff, PICS!!!

6 Attachment(s)
this is my q/t and in the future a posible shrimp tank. if i am to get shrimp i will get some yellow.
right now there is 5 fish in it, as i will explain later.
Attachment 5908
my JD and pictus tank. my JDs name is rupert and my pictus is jerry, my gradma named it that because of tom and jerry.
Attachment 5909
the best close up of my JD, rupert, he is FAST. im pretty shure its a male.
Attachment 5911
best picture of my pictus, he thinks he is a shark, patroling his area.
Attachment 5912
my new guarmi!!! im so excited, if someone could give me name advice, also could someone ID him please.
he is currently in the 10 gallon under q/t. will he do good with the other new fish and some rummy nose?
Attachment 5913
and finaly my 4 cory, could someone please id the species please? also some names that can work in 4s, not thing one thing 2, those are my rummy nose names. SO EXCITED
Attachment 5914

jeaninel 11-28-2009 03:16 AM

Congrats on the new fish. The cories look like Skunk cories (Corydoras Arcuatus). The gourami is a little washed out but I'm thinking maybe a Honey gourami. Is the gourami going in the same tank as the JD? Hopefully not as I don't think that will work out in the long run. Same with the rummies. They'll get eaten. But the rummies, cories and gourami together should be fine.

jmlampert23 11-28-2009 05:07 AM

looks good!!

can i ask a question, what light bulb do you have in your coralife light?

Kelso 11-29-2009 02:08 AM

jeaninel's right with the fish IDing...but I'd follow her advice, the JD may just eat everything in the long run

teddyzaper 11-29-2009 12:35 PM

the JD is in a seperate tank! its only in there with a pictus cat. they will be getting upgraded to a 55 gal long and ill add a few more bottom dwellers like mabey a sort of catfish. in the coralife there is a 60watt 6700k bulb that is a softer color.

teddyzaper 11-29-2009 12:46 PM

ok so i have a few questions, what would be good with the current fish i own in this tank?

currently:
6 rummy nose tetras (covered in some fungus im sure of it)
1 spotted sailfin pleco (will move to 55gal long when i get the tank)
1 honey gourami (in q/t)
4 skunk corys (in q/t)

my rummy have a lot of health issues so idk what to do bout them, its a new tank and ive read that they arent very good starters. but my amonia, nitrate, and nitrite are all 0.

i would like to add:
5-6 otos (for the algea)
1 ferowella twig cat (they are long and i might move it to the 55 if it gets to big)
2 german blue rams (im not sure bout these, they are beutiful but they dont do great in my water.

im asking for some suggestions for some more stocking becuase with that it says i think 61% stocked.
i have a cascade 500 filter which is doing great, contrary to some reviews. its my first canister so i guese i should see an improvement no matter what :P

i dont want any guppies or platties or any more schooling fish. i would like a fish that is a mid to high swimmer and a fish or two that are completly low swimmers (like cories)

i would also like some goofy looking fish or unusual fish, like the farlowella cat.

thanks in advance

P.S. that means no guppies suggestions from bearwithfish

Kelso 11-29-2009 12:57 PM

Sorry! Didn't realize that! I had a farlowella...and I she did just fine in my 28 gallon. They get long, around 8 inches, but theyre so...thin that it really isnt much fish. He would do fine in your size tank, make sure though that the otos and and farlowella dont compete for food, so definitely supplement with fresh veggies or algae pellets/wafers. When I had my farlowella, I let the algae flourish on the back of my tank for him.
Any of the dwarf cichlids like rams and dwarf butterfly cichlids will do great in almost any water! My dwarf butterfly cichlid and my friends blue rams do great in our soft slightly acidic water! And at my one lfs, they do splendid in the harder water! They do well as long as the ph is consistent. I think you have a pretty good stock list!

jmlampert23 11-29-2009 01:36 PM

can you give me the part number off the bulb i need to get one and i just dont know what part number it is.

teddyzaper 11-29-2009 01:37 PM

thanks! the only problem i have right now is money... i dont have that much money to spend and all the fish at my lfs are over $10 ea (that i want)

i would like to order online, could someone advise a place please that shipping is under $34. if not ill just wait and get the money and buy it at www.petsolutions.com . i ordered there and i liked them before.

Angel079 11-29-2009 05:47 PM

Well you already have your fish IDed. If you can/ want to, stock up the cory to 8-10, they're too cool to watch their behavior in a school.
What kinda gravel mix is that in your QT Tank???
For the skiddish Rummy's offer them hiding placed or a corner full of plants they can hide in. Sounds to me they're stressed out in your tank.
Love Oto's, but for those really wait until your tanks is WELL established (i mean a few months at least) chances are VERY well that they will not make it in your new tank and I'd hate to see you loose fish and waste $.