Tropical Fish Keeping banner

New tank for a newbie

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  WalkinH2o 
#1 ·
Hi All! I'm pretty new to all this but have been reading everything in sight until my eyes bleed! haha I bought a new Marineland 37 tall set up from Petsmart a few months ago. Although I've learned a lot since I got it, and would do a few things differently next time, it's completely cycled and running nicely with a single female Peacock (currently holding), a couple Synodontis Eupterus Catfish and of all things a Senegal bichir. Of course through all of this I got the fish-keeping bug bad and recently picked up a 105 gal set up off Craigslist for a great price. It has an overflow with a 30 gal sump and a return pump rated at 590 gals/hr. I think I will need additional filtration for a 105 gal (60" x 18" x 22") stocked with Cichlids and I'm looking at the HOB Aquaclear 110 or a Fluval fx5 for filtering from the bottom of the tank... does that sound reasonable? Which would be better? I also have a question about the bulkhead on the bottom of the overflow box too... it's a press-fit bulkhead with pvc pipe coming up from the bottom (which leads to the sump) and pvc pipe in the overflow box pressed into the top. I was told doesn't leak but it makes me a little nervous (I'd prefer NOT to have 105 gals of water on my Livingroom floor!
)... should I seal it with silicone or something? Not sure I want to do anything that is absolutely permanent either in case I need to take it all apart at some point. Any input you could give me would be helpful! I'm really excited about setting up the 105 but also a bit nervous... it's a whole different animal than the little pre-configured 37 with the eclipse filter in the hood!:|

See less See more
#2 ·
well i would definatly go with the fluval, as for the overflow, i have no experience but a good way to test if it leaks is to fill it up outside and leave it for a day or so.

#3 ·
Congratulations and welcome to the multiple tank syndrome...ain't gonna stop at just 2 :)

I'd def wanna at least half way fill it outside my house and then after 2 days bring it in BUT make sure you have NO freezing Temps at night or you'll bust the tank testing (alternatively if you can test it in like a garage or barn etc where it won't freeze).

And uhm yea me being me, pictures of everything please :)

#4 ·
OK so here I am, having had my 32g for a little over 2 months, and thinking I should get another one for about - what - 7 weeks, and then I go and read a post like this! You bought a 37, got the bug, and went out and got a 105??? ARRGHHH!!!! Happy for you though! :)

If I were in your shoes, I'd put that 105 in the basement. But that's just me... I'm a cave dweller... :)

#5 ·
Hmmm... no basements, freezing or barns around these parts but the garage I do have! :-D Being that its just me, my wife and 3 daughters I also have a shortage of people around that can help me carry the thing to the garage (and I've cashed in all my Father in Law favors for a little while at least!) getting it to the garage might take me a while. I'll see if I can get a few pics of it though, maybe tomorrow?

I like the fluval fx5 but of course it costs more. I would think that with the canister and the overflow I should have plenty of filtering though... right?

I'm trying to track down 3-4 yellow labs tomorrow too (anyone know of a good LFS in Orange County (south county would be ideal but I'll drive north a bit if I have to)... so far I haven't found one yet and I decided even I know more than the teenage, supposed "fish expert" at Petsmart! (just tonight he told me you can sex Cichilds because all FEMALES have egg spots!) :-?

Love this forum guys! Unlike some of the other ones out there my posts aren't ignored and I'm not encouraged to feel stupid nor bombarded with flames by prima donnas! :p

#7 ·
Maybe a neighbor that could help you carry? I'd def wanna test fill outside somewhere, rather then in the house lol

What canister filter do you have on it?
On any tanks larger then 55g I always used Eheim Canisters, love them, won't ever buy nothing else lol

Oh dang a nice Yellow tank...that would be fun to see, I LOVED LOVED LOVED my Yellows, shame I had to leave them behind...here's one of the only pictures I have of them/ their tank.

I'm sure glad to hear you like it here! And there's a lot of very knowledgeable people on here that can support in just about any given matter that may arise in setting up and keeping tanks :)

Attachments

#8 ·
Thanks Angel... after a week or so the Yellows are doing great. They are fun to watch! About filter your question on the new larger tank... it has a overflow with a sump and a return pump rated at about 590 gal/hr... I'm looking into additional filtration for the tank and I've done lots of reading about canisters (the Fluval xf5 looks good for the $) but I like the simplicity of the Aquaclear 110 HOB. I just don't know how much more filtration I'm going to need since the sump has mechanical filtration and lots of bio. I don't like that the overflow will only filter the water from the top of the tank (obviously), that's why I'm looking at the other 2 filters. I don't think I need much more water flow (current flow in the tank) than the sump pump will provide though, I'm concerned the fx5 will be too much? Any thoughts guys & gals? I'd like to get this tank up and running around the first of the year.

#9 ·
So basic you want more "cleaning" power rather then more flow if I understand you right. Why don't you the just modify the existing filter that you have to do a better job with a few pvc pipes or hoses from the home store rathern then buying a 2nd one?
Maybe you can post a pic of the current set up so we can brain storm with some DYI thoughts here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.