Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Angelfish acting strange

31K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  LisaC144 
#1 ·
I posted this concern in one of my earlier threads with Byron, hoping he can help me out, but I figured I'd post it in a new thread for any other help as well. Here is my issue. I just put 2 Angels in my 55 gallon tank with a few community fish (moved my silver dollars to my 75 gallon). I put a bunch of silk plants ion the tank to make it more to their natural habitat and plan on adding real plants once I read up more on lighting and other preferences to keep a live plant tank. The one Angel is doing great. Adjusted well and swims all around the tank, enjoys poking at the plants, etc. The other (marble) angel I'm a little concerned about. He swims around the tank a bit but mostly hangs at the very top with his mouth pointing upward like he's feeding. He only seem to do this when the light is on. When I check on him when the light is out, he seems to swim normal. He doesn't appear sick or anything, and feeds fine. There is an airstone in the tank right now (I know that will need to come out once I have live plants) that is providing plenty of oxygen so I know it's not a lack of oxygen. Do you know why the Angel could be acting like this?

#2 ·
I didn't have opportunity to add further in the other thread after this issue came up. And frankly I am not much with health problems anyway so I tend to let those with more experience answer. Beyond the obvious--are these new fish? If yes, how did you introduce them to the tank? Are water parameters OK (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?

With this info, I'm sure several will have suggestions.

Byron.

#3 ·
Yes, they are new fish. I did the drip method for about an hour. Parameters are good. Ph is 7.2, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10ppm nitrate. I have a bubbler in the tank and he seems to go after the bubbles like it's food. I'm just finding it weird that he's at the top with his mouth pointed upward a majority of the time while the other Angel swims all around.

#4 ·
Is it possible that the Angelfish has seen, or is seeing,, baby swordtails or mollies at the surface? Fry of these fish are frequently seen at the surface and perhaps the angelfish has managed to catch a couple and is searching for others. This is pure speculation on my part.
In light of the fact that fish are new,and appear to otherwise feed,and swim normally when light is off, I would not be too concerned. Your water parameters appear in good order. I would note that Temp Fluctuations, can sometimes affect fish by sending them either away from ,or near to, heat source. 78 degrees I would think would suit the fish and should remain stable. Other than this, (not much),, It is quite difficult to say with any degree of certainty what issues if any,are affecting the fish.
Will say that keeping water quality as you are,,will always benefit the fish.

#5 ·
None of the fish have had fry that I know of. None look pregnant either. Temperature is 78-80 degrees. I observed the fish with the light off for about an hour last night and he was all around the tank. Perhaps the light is attracting him, or like I said, he thinks the bubbles are food. He does feed fine and otherwise acts fine. I was worried because I read online about a disease where one of the symptoms is a mouth pointed slightly upwards. This is what he does at the top of the tank but seems to swim normally when he does swim around.

#6 ·
I ended up losing the angelfish. Perhaps to an internal parasite. The other angelfish I bought with him is doing great. He is very active and seems very happy. I replaced the one that died with another angelfish, but he just isn't as active as the one I still have. He stays at the back of the tank a lot, but isn't getting picked on by any of its tankmates. The other angelfish is curious about him and is very friednly towards him. He will come out from the back of the tank when the other angelfish approaches him and they will swim together for a bit. Do you think perhaps I should get a third one for company? would that be better for the "shy" one? Any sugggestions from anyone would be appreciated.

#7 ·
I doubt more angelfish will "bring him out of his shell". Gasping at the top of the tank sometimes hints lack of oxygen. A bubbler believe it or not will not provide a whole lot of oxygen for the tank. Creating surface vibration will help increase oxygen. When I first got my african cichlids they would occasionally gasp at the surface but when I pointed my powerhead toward the surface the fish were fine because of the increase in surface vibration which takes the O2 from the air and sort of mixes it into the water. But seeing as angles prefer stagnant water, I reallly doubt that's the reason for death. Sorry I can't help you much. I would check where your getting these fish from because im beginning to see a patern.

#9 ·
Actually, Airstones provide quite a bit of oxygen. Is why and how Sponge filters work. If it were otherwise,, those who use only sponge filters for filtration in breeder tanks,quarantine tanks,etc, Would suffocate their fish.

#8 ·
In a tank with several fish, one at the surface is not an oxygen issue except for that one fish, i.e., it has a health issue. Only yesterday I culled a fish that I have had for over a year out of one of my tanks that was doing this for the past few days, it obviously had something and rather than risk it spreading I culled the fish. After a while you get to recognize issues that will not clear up.

Angel fish are sedate fish that should be in a group, they interact and will be less stressed. Of course, one with an internal problem is not likely to suddenly be cured just because of being in a group. But providing a natural habit for any fish is going to lessen stress and that means less susceptibility to various health issues.

Byron.

#11 ·
I had a few angels exhibit this staying at the surface behavior... All that did have died. I attributed this to poor acclimation by me, shock, stress, whatever you want to call it. The angels that I have now (going on 2 months) were fine from the beginning, I took extra time acclimating them this time around and it seems to have worked. (all my parameters were in check the whole time). I have heard of people doing the drip for 3+ hours. Is this necessary? I do not know.

#13 ·
Hi! If you know the store that you get your fish from real well...as far as how they treat their fish,the fishes conditions,the tanks,etc.,you really don't need a dip,my opinion!I try not to buy fish that have just been acquired by the store...wait a few days to let the fish "destress"! Sometimes,TLS will put in some "post-traveling" meds,so don't buy them newly acquired! A descent store will tell you this anyway!;-) But,remember,always quarantine the new fish in your "new fish" tank!There,you can really watch him for odd quirks! Good luck!:-D

#14 ·
I did the slow drip method with him for about an hourwhen I got him. I spent about an hour yesterday watching him. He was around the tank much more and his coloring looked better. He has black stripes that would fade a lot, but when I came near the tank he'd brighten up and his stripes would be a deep black. Yesterday he was swimming around throughout the tank more and his stripes were black the whole time. Can it really take 7-10 days for a fish to completely acclimate to its new surrounding? i'm goingto watch him more tonight. Do you think 3 Angel's would be better for everyone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.