Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   A clear case of cruelty! Time to wake up. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/clear-case-cruelty-time-wake-up-32920/)

statenfish 11-27-2009 01:37 AM

A clear case of cruelty! Time to wake up.

i am no activist, not by a long shot. What i am is an animal lover. We can all agree that it is very politically correct and popular to hate puppy mills. they are horrible cruel places that produce sick and often terminally ill dogs. So what about feeder fish? no im not kidding.. they are living creatures with a right to life. instead they are cramped into a bare tank wit no regard for health or well being. I have to listen to fanatical preaching about tank size for a single fish, but no one mentions the 300 fish in a 50 gallon tank with almost no room to swim. gee whiz, i wonder who monitors the feeder tank ammonia levels! They are often so diseased that they cant even be fed to other fish without killing them! We are so jaded that its ok to tattoo fish and chemically enhance their colors...Look at the parrot fish for gods sake..we simply invented that one! lol i have kept some of the most apex predator fish imaginable ( snake heads), and i have never used a feeder fish for any reason..actually i have a few feeders in a 55 gallon tank just for fun..these poor guys dont live to long but at least they are happy. lets all wake up and treat the fish we keep with the compassion they deserve. take a second and axctually think about what iv said here.

NC Frank 11-27-2009 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statenfish (Post 280811)
We are so jaded that its ok to tattoo fish and chemically enhance their colors...Look at the parrot fish for gods sake..we simply invented that one!

A vast majority of people who actually care for the well being of their fish have no tolerance for physically altered (tattoed/colored/etc.) fish. The same people who complain abount tank size are the same ones who would not condone this action.

Sorry to get side tracked from your valid feeder fish thread... but I wanted to comment on that particular item you brought up.

Mikaila31 11-27-2009 11:43 AM

I agree with you that feeder fish(or any livebearer or convict) has just as much right to live as any other fish. However if you have kept them you can understand why they are used as feeders. I keep endlers, I care for them and make sure they stay health. But I am not above using them as feeders. Its much to hard to get rid of these fish. Stores don't want them. They breed to rapidly and you can't keep them all. Trust me, I once tried to keep them and nothing else I had would eat them. I ended up with over 100 in a 15 gallon. I advertised in a local aquarium club that has over 200 members. They were free. One person, ONE person came forward. He got 100 of them for free. Most of them probably were fed to some chiclids. It doesn't bother me. It is artificial selection.

What is your opinion on culling fish then?

Kelso 11-27-2009 06:38 PM

I think that it's rediculous that we cant keep a big one and trade in a previous catch from earlier...and honestly, I have no problem with feeder fish being crammed in there...it's what they were bred for, just like mice and crickets. Granted, they probably could hold off on orders of more feeders when the tank is already filled...I really don't think its a big deal.

statenfish 11-27-2009 11:16 PM

so then why protest dog fighting..that swhat pit bulls are bread for, right? its just funny how people flip out over a pretty fish and its care but choose to disregard the feeders..hypoctitical

La Reina 11-27-2009 11:32 PM

I just wish that they'd bother to clean up the bodies in the feeder tanks.

If the feeders were well cared for, would it not benefit the fish that eat them too? I doubt sick fish taste very good.

statenfish 11-27-2009 11:48 PM

so if the fish is pretty and gets you attention, then its vital to tinker w the water and care for the fish..but if its a simple feeder then let it die? we are either all in or all out when it comes to fish care and treatment.