Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Red cherry shrimp questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/red-cherry-shrimp-questions-329130/)

KeshiaB 01-08-2014 03:58 AM

Red cherry shrimp questions

2 Attachment(s)
Having just returned from a 10 day holiday, I got home to find that one of my shrimp has disappeared. I'm not sure if it died, got accidentally sucked up the filter/gravel vacuum, jumped out, or *someone* got hungry...

On another note my Ambulia bunch had also vanished while I was away! It seems to have died off and all that was left was some measly stalks. I suppose it's possible the dying plant caused an ammonia spike and the shrimp died from that?

The one that have vanished seemed smaller than the other five and never coloured up (in fact it turned clear). I've also noticed that two still alive aren't really eating when I feed them, and the others aren't as active as normal. This has just happened in the last two days (since adding a new plant). I checked the water levels yesterday and all was OK.

A quick background on my tank:
30L glass aquarium, heated, filtered, gravel substrate, planted with hygrophila, bacopa, 2 crypts, java moss and now lace fern, weekly 25% water changes using Seachem Prime, test water every 3-4 days using API Master Test Kit, feed betta twice daily, feed shrimp once every two days (flakes and bloodworms), dose a tiny drop of Flourish once per week.

Anyway I have a few questions:

1. Is it normal to for shrimp to disappear?
2. Does molting also slow them down?
3. Is it possible to add new water too quickly to the tank?
4. Am I doing anything wrong?

Sorry for the long message, I'm just super keen to do the best for my critters!

Attachment 271514

Attachment 271522

henningc 01-08-2014 07:23 PM

I know you can kill them with kindness via feeding. Mine get feed once or twice a week and not much at that. They basically eat biofilm off the plants, gravel and aquascaping.

KeshiaB 01-08-2014 08:10 PM

Thanks for your reply. I know I need to cut down on feeding, I'll try to only feed once every 2-3 days. Mostly I just forget when I've fed them last. It's the same story with my betta, I try to fast him once a week but that doesn't always happen either!

I've noticed that the lower leaves on some of my bacopa leaves are rotting off, this seems to be from lack of light (I'm in the process of working out a solution to this, my tank is low tech and I don't have a lot of money to spare on new lights, hopefully a lamp next to the tank will be enough to fix this). Should I take these leaves off or leave them for the shrimp to eat?

Captain Jim Dandy 02-07-2014 06:04 AM

I am just wonder
ing if your betta appears a little plump when shrimp dissapear?

KeshiaB 02-07-2014 05:26 PM

Nah he's a skinny wee thing, I think he's been snacking on some shrimp babies though...
Posted via Mobile Device