Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   New fish (freshwater) and equipment. Simple, basic, and economical. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/new-fish-freshwater-equipment-simple-basic-32905/)

JamesFrank 11-26-2009 06:34 PM

New fish (freshwater) and equipment. Simple, basic, and economical.

I have a desire to start a new freshwater aquarium. Can someone help me get started?

Thank you.

James

Twistersmom 11-26-2009 06:49 PM

Hello James and welcome to the forum!
I am guessing you do not already have a tank? What size tank are you considering? Any fish, that you already have picked out?

Angel079 11-27-2009 08:56 PM

Welcome James!!!
As Twistermom already asked: Its actually easier to start from the end result in the fish world: Meaning let's figure out first what fish and maybe also plants you'd like to see later on, then give advise what tank to buy. Its easier then blindly buying a 10g tank and realize later on you can hardly keep any fish in it.
Also for the beginning to not be overwhelmed with all big purchases, did you consider buying a used tank in your area, that can safe big bucks right there (that extra cash can then be invested in some niceee fish if wanted) :-)

Again, welcome and I hope you enjoy yourself here!!! :-)

TheaterGuy 07-08-2011 10:45 PM

I'm new too!!

I've decided to start an aquarium for my 17 month old daughter... Obviously I'm going to enjoy it myself, but I've noticed that fish seem to be her favorite animals at this point and thought it might be fun for both of us!
I know I want a large tank 40-70 gal, I've got the perfect spot for it and I may have a free 70 gal with all accessories!! I'm waiting to find out for sure! Otherwise I'll be looking for a deal!

I think I'd like to do some live plants and I want a variety of colors of fish... I want something fairly simple, but have a neat 'complete' look! I'm trying to spend as little as possible, but if my tank is free, obviously a little for fish won't be a huge deal. (doubt I'll be getting many $30 fish - although I have no idea what they run!)

Do people trade/sell fish from home? Or is buying them at a local store about the only option?
Whats the difference/advantage of rocks vs. sand for the base? For plants do you have to have dirt under rocks or sand?

I don't have a clue where to start picking out fish!!

Thanks for any help!! :)

redchigh 07-08-2011 10:53 PM

you can buy fish online, and I've been known to sell them myself..

but first, you need to find out your water parameters where you live. Ph and Kh is really the most important for our purposes.

Generally, you'll need at least 2 inches of substrate, a good heater (if you want tropical fish), adequate filtration (canister filter is best, but a HOB will work), and proper lighting. A Canopy with 2 flourescent tubes would be perfect, although one tube will do.

This is really a quite old topic. It would be great of you could introduce yourself in http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/meet-community/

BarbH 07-08-2011 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheaterGuy (Post 728549)
I've decided to start an aquarium for my 17 month old daughter... Obviously I'm going to enjoy it myself, but I've noticed that fish seem to be her favorite animals at this point and thought it might be fun for both of us!
I know I want a large tank 40-70 gal, I've got the perfect spot for it and I may have a free 70 gal with all accessories!! I'm waiting to find out for sure! Otherwise I'll be looking for a deal!

I think I'd like to do some live plants and I want a variety of colors of fish... I want something fairly simple, but have a neat 'complete' look! I'm trying to spend as little as possible, but if my tank is free, obviously a little for fish won't be a huge deal. (doubt I'll be getting many $30 fish - although I have no idea what they run!)

Do people trade/sell fish from home? Or is buying them at a local store about the only option?
Whats the difference/advantage of rocks vs. sand for the base? For plants do you have to have dirt under rocks or sand?

I don't have a clue where to start picking out fish!!

Thanks for any help!! :)

Welcome to the forums :-D For researching different type of fish a good place to start is the tropical fish profiles, at the top of the page second tab over you will find the link. Once you have an idea of the type of fish you would be interested in, we can help you on here to figure out what will work together, and also what will work with the type of water that you have. Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? If not here is a good link
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/ I would definitly advise in getting plants, they are benifical to both the fish and to the tank, and if heavily planted will help with the cycling process. Plants are simple to do and Byron has a good guide for doing a planted tank, which can be found in the aquarium plants section.

Depending on the type of fish you want to get, they can be a determining factor on the type of substrate that you use. You do not need to have soil under the sand or gravel. Also knowing the ph and the hardness of your water will help to determine the type of fish that you will best be able to keep.