Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Breeding platties or guppies in my community tank.... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/breeding-platties-guppies-my-community-tank-32863/)

La Reina 11-25-2009 08:52 PM

Breeding platties or guppies in my community tank....

I'm seriously looking into breeding platties or guppies. I currently have a 20 gallon community with 3 male red wag platties, 5 zebra danios, 2 mystery snails, and a flame gourami. I have one corner of the tank heavily planted for Py the Gourami.

I have a 1 gallon betta tank for use as a hospital tank.

Could I breed platties or guppies in my community tank and save a few to raise in my 1 gallon? Would the other fish be able to eat enough of the fry to keep from over populating?

(Seeing as how I've already got 3 male platties, I'm thinking that I'll have to go to guppies to breed so I don't have to get 6 or so females.)

bearwithfish 11-25-2009 09:23 PM

you should be good to start off with but keep in mind when you get your fish the ratio recomended is 1 male to three females i personally breed both and keep a usual 1 male to 5 females to help keep every one calm and relaxed plus the reduced attention from the male keeps the fry healthier....

La Reina 11-25-2009 09:37 PM

But won't all your females foal, wait foal isn't the right word... you know what I mean, at the same time? What do you do with all the fry?

bearwithfish 11-25-2009 10:17 PM

no they don't often you get them fromthe LFS already pregnant and if the male does not get to them right after they drop they may have a few more drops from the previous donor. even if not often they have a way of spacing it out ... i get about one drop every week to two weeks.. as i just got started its been good had somesmall issues and lost one batch of fry do to an unfortunate heater accident but it was my own fault. :(...... things are getting better now.. i have 10 fry and three mama's ready to drop in the next 48 hours.... i hope :)

La Reina 11-26-2009 08:02 AM

so do you pick say 10 out of a batch to keep?

bearwithfish 11-26-2009 05:47 PM

no ten was all i found last time around i think some were eaten..... i have one droping now and i an getting the fry as they are born.. i dont like putting the mama's in those birth corrals it stresses them far to much so i just net them and take them to the baby tank... as they age i may keep the really nice looking ones and sell the rest or trade with people for gear :)...

La Reina 11-27-2009 09:01 PM

Would a 5 gallon be a good fry raising tank? My i gallon betta tank will be way too smal methinks.

I found a petstore that will take fry! (Though they have to be of sellable size.) At what age are they sexually mature?

bearwithfish 11-28-2009 06:46 AM

i use them both.. i start them off in a 1 or 2 gal and after they are a little bigger say 2-3 weeks i move them tothe five and then use a 10 if needed ... very happy that you r LFS will buy them :) ! usually thy will take them at 3/4 inch or so. as for sexual maturity usually 1 inch. however you can tell male from female after three weeks (some say one but the bits and pieces are a bit small for my eyes LOL....

La Reina 11-28-2009 11:34 AM

Lol! I think I'm going to play Darwin and have them birth in the main tank, pick some good looking ones to save, and then I'll definately seperate the genders once I can tell.

Hmm... I could use the fiver for the females I don't want bred... *evil laugh*

Highland lake13 11-30-2009 08:19 PM

I see 1 problem....all the fish you have in your tank right now will almost instantly eat the fry, especially if you only have 2-3 female guppies. this is a problem when we try to play Darwin you will find if you go all natural (no fry net or breeding cartriage) that you will have 1 or 2 fry that may or may not be good looking.

I did a similar setup a few years ago. I put the gourami in a different tank and put in a bunch of plants for the fry. I also had a fry cartriage where i could keep the fry until a heathy age where they were big enough 2-3 weeks later.

good luck and post some pics when you get the new guppies : )