Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   No idea whats wrong D: (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/no-idea-whats-wrong-d-32856/)

Ramenuzumaki 11-25-2009 08:05 PM

No idea whats wrong D:

note sure if this is the right place to put this but i unno what to do
if you have snails does anything come WITH them?
there looks like theres little bugs in my tank
like tiny dots swimming around
and im scared
i saw them before in another tank i had snails in
im super worried what should i do?

1. What is the size of your tank? 5gal

2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used. [unknown]

3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water? fresh

4. How long the aquarium has been set up? since before august 09

5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
one betta two kuhli loaches. betta has been in there almost the whole time, and the loaches are newish
??? snails
theres a lot

6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? no. there was no problem until now i just noticed

7. What temperature is the tank water currently? 76 degrees

8. Are there live plants in the aquarium? yes, one marimo algae ball

9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.
not sure about the power capacity but it is an elite hush 10

10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)? i have a sponge filter [i think] attached to an elite air pump

11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?
i dont think it gets any sunlight. my blinds are always closed and its in a corner away from my window
my light turns on at 6am and off at 6pm

12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?
i currently dont have a siphon to vacuum substrate but i never had this problem before
i normally change the water every day but i havent in a few days
when i do do water changes i change 50% of the water

13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?
one nutrafin basix staple food tablet for the loaches
and a little nutrafin max betta food for the betta

14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?
none really in the fish
just the bug lookin things

15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.
no i have not done any treating.
not sure if this is even in the right section but i didnt know where to put it D:

im SUPER scared D:

Ramenuzumaki 11-25-2009 08:33 PM

i know this is a blurry photo but they are REALLY small
each small blurry dot is a "bug"
i dont think they are baby snails cuz they seems to swim around in the water pretty quick
and they move along the glass quick like bunnies as well
they are on the glass
swim around in the corner in the pic
and they are on my fake plants D:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...i/HPIM2432.jpg

langod 11-30-2009 02:49 PM

The critters may not be harmful, but it would be good to identify them just in case. Many protozoa and other wee beasties can be quite harmful.

Are you sure your fish don't appear to have Ich? Ich has a free swimming stage. If you do notice signs of Ich, raise your temp gradually to 80 (or up to 85 if your fish can take it) and treat with appropriate medicines. (I like Aquari-sol which is a copper salt treatment.)
Raising the temp reduces the Ich lifecycle from a few weeks to about 5 days, allowing the medicine to take effect at the targeted stage of the life-cycle.

If it's not ich, I would recommend trying to get a look at the swimmers with a magnifying glass (or better, a microscope) and start doing some research on fresh water protozoa and other micro-organisms.

Good luck -- keep us posted.

Ramenuzumaki 11-30-2009 04:02 PM

nope they dont
my betta is still his healthy happy scardy cat self free of white blotches D:
i guess i need to acquire a microscope dealy :(

i looked yesterday and i couldnt find any of the buggies

1077 12-01-2009 04:12 AM

Creatures could very well be water fleas or type of planaria. these are harmless to fish and many fish will view them as snacks.
Too many of them are an indication that bottom of the tank needs vaccumed on regular basis or they, like the snails,,will continue to multiply. Excess organics,(uneaten food,fish poop) is their source of food. Water changes of 2gal in a ten gal tank each week and vaccuming the gravel with gravel vaccum along with reducing the amount of food offered,, will keep both the creatures and the snails under control. Filter material needs to be cleaned on regular basis with old aquarium water(not tapwater),or a bucket of dechlorinated water. Tapwater with chlorine will harm the good bacteria in the filter.You may find that the creatures all but vanish once the enviornment is no longer to their liking. They love excess food and nasties laying about the bottom of the tank.

1077 12-01-2009 08:41 AM

[quote=1077;283169]Creatures could very well be water fleas or type of planaria. these are harmless to fish and many fish will view them as snacks.
Too many of them are an indication that bottom of the tank needs vaccumed on regular basis or they, like the snails,,will continue to multiply. Excess organics,(uneaten food,fish poop) is their source of food. Water changes of 2gal in a ten gal tank each week and vaccuming the gravel with gravel vaccum along with reducing the amount of food offered,, will keep both the creatures and the snails under control. Filter material needs to be cleaned on regular basis with old aquarium water(not tapwater),or a bucket of dechlorinated water. Tapwater with chlorine will harm the good bacteria in the filter.You may find that the creatures all but vanish once the enviornment is no longer to their liking. They love excess food and nasties laying about the bottom of the tank.

Just noted:roll: this is five gal tank. Same suggestions apply with exception of size of water change. Perhaps a gallon ,or gallon and a half rather than two gal .

Ramenuzumaki 12-01-2009 09:42 AM

for water changes i take out water until my filter stops sucking water up then i change that much and normally clean my filter material before dumping out he old water

yeah its probably due to overfeeding/lack of vacuuming
i need to invest in a siphon so i can actually do the vacuuming >.<
my old roommate had one before he left but lost it before he gave me the tank so yeah thats useless
im going to do another water change today when my dad wakes up and we'll see what happens
i havent noticed them lately so maybe my betta decided to go on a random but eatting frenzy while i wasnt looking?

*shrug* either way imma do what you guys have suggested and see what happens!
thanks for all the help guys

EDIT:
may have been the fleas
they werent big enough or wormy enough to be planaria imo

MoneyMitch 12-03-2009 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by langod (Post 282793)
The critters may not be harmful, but it would be good to identify them just in case. Many protozoa and other wee beasties can be quite harmful.

Are you sure your fish don't appear to have Ich? Ich has a free swimming stage. If you do notice signs of Ich, raise your temp gradually to 80 (or up to 85 if your fish can take it) and treat with appropriate medicines. (I like Aquari-sol which is a copper salt treatment.)
Raising the temp reduces the Ich lifecycle from a few weeks to about 5 days, allowing the medicine to take effect at the targeted stage of the life-cycle.

If it's not ich, I would recommend trying to get a look at the swimmers with a magnifying glass (or better, a microscope) and start doing some research on fresh water protozoa and other micro-organisms.

Good luck -- keep us posted.

ich in the free swimming stage are microscopic and unable to be seen by the human eye, small critters swimming in the aquarium can NEVER be considered ich.

-dont mean to bust your balls here just debunking a myth ;)