Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Setup for Angelfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/setup-angelfish-32828/)

LisaC144 11-25-2009 09:46 AM

Setup for Angelfish

I have a new 55 gallon tank that I want to set up for Angels. I also have 3 silver dollars that I am going to put in this tank with them. I am thinking 2 Angels. Angels and Silver Dollars have the same water chemisty, the only difference is that Silver Dollars like room to swim and school and Angels like planted tanks. I wanted to put some plants in for the Angels to feel comfotable and leave room in the front of the tank mostly clear for the Silver Dollars. What kind of plant set up would you recommend? Heavily planted with silk plants or a mix of plastic and silk in the back for them to feel comfortable and nothing in the front for the dollars? Plants all around the tank to everyone? I wantthe best setup for everyone to be happy :-) Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Byron 11-25-2009 01:43 PM

My recommendation would be not to mix angels and silver dollars. While they may have the same preference in water parameters, their environmental preferences differ.

Angels prefer well planted tanks. They occur in quiet waters thick with plants and roots, and the patterning of the wild fish is a clue to this, they blend in with vertical plants, sticks and handing roots and branches. Yes you can go with plastic plants, but the benefits of live plants to the water quality and thus the health of the fish far outweigh everything else. So I suggest you provide the angels with a suitable natural environmetn and they will be healthier due to less stress and reward you with better health and natural behaviours. And they are social fish that live in groups, so 4-5 would be lovely in a 55g. But not with the SD's; they can be aggressive eaters, which could be seen as threatening to angels. And silver dollars eat plants. Enough said.

Byron.

LisaC144 11-25-2009 02:53 PM

If I put the Dollars in my other tank, can I use regular florescent lighting or do I need special lighting for live plants?

Byron 11-25-2009 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaC144 (Post 280036)
If I put the Dollars in my other tank, can I use regular florescent lighting or do I need special lighting for live plants?

Fluorescent lighting is good, but what type is it? Do you know the name and wattage (shown on the end of the tube), and how many tubes over the 55g tank?

Byron.

LisaC144 11-27-2009 08:16 AM

Well I put the Silver Dollars in my 75 gallon like I was eventually going to do, and got two small Angels. Right now they're housed with a few community fish. I put a bunch of silk plants ion the tank to make it more to their natural habitat and plan on adding real plants once I read up more on lighting and other preferences to keep a live plant tank. The one Angel is doing great. Adjusted well and swims all around the tank, enjoys poking at the plants, etc. The other (marble) angel I'm a little concerned about. He swims around the tank a bit but mostly hangs at the very top with his mouth pointing upward like he's feeding. He only seem to do this when the light is on. When I check on him when the light is out, he seems to swim normal. He doesn't appear sick or anything, and feeds fine. There is an airstone in the tank right now (I know that will need to come out once I have live plants) that is providing plenty of oxygen so I know it's not a lack of oxygen. Do you know why the Angel could be acting like this?