Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Pair of longfinned albino Bristlenose and eggs. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/pair-longfinned-albino-bristlenose-eggs-32820/)

1077 11-25-2009 04:59 AM

Pair of longfinned albino Bristlenose and eggs.

Today I decided to perform weekly water change on 75 gal tank at work before the Thanksgiving holiday.
The tank is home for one Paratilapia Polleni cichlid,Two Synodontis Multipunctatus Catfish, and a male and female Longfinned albino Bristlenose. Normally I would just change 40 to 50 percent of the water and call it good. Usually do gravel vaccum once a week on sunday, but didn't want to come by work if I didn't have to, and so I decided to remove all of the decor which consists of flagstone ,large smooth river stones,and some pvc pipe glued to some flat pieces of slate. Also is one very large piece of driftwood that resembles a large danish with hollowed out underside.
As I was removing the driftwood piece ,I noticed a cluster of approx 50 to 100 bright orange eggs and the male bristlenose would not let go of the wood like he usually does.
I was concerned that leaving the eggs in the tank would probably not be a good idea due to the catfish and cichlid which are all approaching five inches and could easily snap up any baby Bristlenose should they indeed become free swimming.
I decided to draw some of the water from the aquarium into a bucket and I gently placed the driftwood which barely fit ,into the bucket with the male pleco still attached. Not twenty feet outside the boiler room where the 75 gal sits,,is a 29 gal guppy tank belonging to a lady who works in the office outside the boileroom. She has been reduced to partime employee and is only here one day a week and long ago stopped caring for the few guppies in the tank. I have been caring for her tank and decided the bristlenose would have better chance in this tank. Must confess I do not keep her tank nearly as well as I keep my own and there is sufficient algae and biofilm on surfaces,that I hope the young fry or most,will survive on along with fresh veggies and spirulina that I will provide.
Guess this explains why I have not seen the male for a week or two ,and why the female who was rather plump, suddenly looks slimmer. Anyhoo,, I'ts funny that even a old fart like me, still gets excited when eggs or babies are present in the tank. Am glad that there was another tank close by to move the nest to and hope I didn't cause Dad too much anxiety.
And before Kymmie asks.. I will try and get some pics if babies present themselves. Promise:roll:

bearwithfish 11-25-2009 07:31 AM

glad you added the last part 'cause i was gonna sk for pix too :) !!!!! congrats on the potential little ones!!!!

aunt kymmie 11-25-2009 10:45 AM

:lol: 1077, you know me so well! I love longfinned ABNs. How great that you had a spare tank to use. Sometimes I wish I had fish that were capable of reproducing in my tank. How exciting! Looking foward to pics. :)

Calmwaters 11-25-2009 11:45 AM

Wow that was a nice preholiday surprise you found. I will be looking forward to the pictures to. LOL

stephanieleah 11-28-2009 09:05 PM

Oh my gosh, I haven't seen albino babies, but my LFS had THREE generations of bristlenoses recently and the babies are super cute! SO tiny! Can't wait for pix, and I'm excited for you!

Twistersmom 11-28-2009 09:28 PM

Thats great news! Hope they do well for you!

1077 11-29-2009 01:03 AM

It's 1.00 am Here ,and I came by work where the tank is,to check on the progress or lack thereof. Seems nearly all of the eggs are gone. As understand, the young fry eat the egg sack and then become free swimming in a matter of six to seven days. I believe the eggs had been there for a few days before I discovered them. I did see ONE tiny wriggler a moment ago when doing water change that I have been doing every other day since eggs were discovered. As fate would have it,,the lady whose tank I have been caring for ,, opted to use pink gravel:roll: There may very well be many more of the little buggers but they are quite difficult for these eyes of mine to see. I have hung some dried green marine algae on a veggie clip and am going to place some vegetables in the tank soon to see if they will be easier to spot. Could also be that only one survived:cry:. I will be sure and report soon as I can determine what or how many survived.

Twistersmom 11-29-2009 08:08 AM

Pink gravel! :lol:
I bet you will find some more. How exciting! I have never had any fry from my egg layers. ( except, maybe, 1 new oto) Always nice, to have a reason, to want to go to work!