Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Plea #2 how can I treat this disease? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/plea-2-how-can-i-treat-32807/)

rsheets 11-24-2009 10:56 PM

Plea #2 how can I treat this disease?

I have lost sevral guppies with the same sickness. The mouth gets white then starts to "desolve" and ends up having a deformed mouth and dies within 2 days of the first signs of problems. I don't know what this is called. And would like to treat my fish so that it will stop. Does anyone know how to treat this?
Ammonia, nitrite, nitrates all 0.
PH 7.2
temp 79

bearwithfish 11-24-2009 11:36 PM

DAMN never seen anything like that.. iw ill look around inmy books and a few spots on line .. it will be a while i just hope some one else has the answer fast...

rsheets 11-25-2009 12:24 AM

OK I (my Wife) seached google for more info and found that it is probably columnaris flexbactor. We are almost 100% sure of that. They suggested Acriflavine and terramycin most often and even use togeather for maxumum effectivness. It is an internal infection in the fish that is spread through the water. A bacterial infection. This is a nasty infection, not sure how I wound up with it in my tank so soon. I'm guessing I should thank Petsmart for that. That's where I got them. The fish die within a day or two. Guess I'll go get some Meds tomorrow.

Lupin 11-25-2009 08:14 AM

This sounds a lot like columnaris to me indeed. In this case, you have the option to try Maracyn and Maracyn 2 if you can find these two meds. They can work well combined although minocycline which is Maracyn 2 works well battling against gram negative bacteria and columnaris is gram-negative.

Bacteria will always be present in the water. It will take a lot of stress-related factors and even pathogens that serve as entry points to penetrate their damaged skin such as ich to be able to make the fish manifest secondary infections particularly columnaris.

bearwithfish 11-25-2009 08:16 AM

yeah almost 100% sure it was the store you bought from often the bigger box stores are way more worried with the bottom line than the animals they sell.. but we have all learned that one.... just keep in mind that if they are the only viable resource for you to set up a quarantine tank so that you dont have to treat a whole community that you have been working on.... this is a lesson that really took me a long time to take to heart!!!!!!!! :)

bearwithfish 11-25-2009 08:18 AM

Lupin we were posting at the same time.... thank for the info i could not find much here..... i should have known you were the one to ask...LOL....

rsheets 11-25-2009 11:31 PM

I did find that maracyn @ 2 were some of the meds suggested. Seems like 2 was suggested the most and that you could use (1) along with it but not really alone without the use of 2 for this particular illness. That's kind of what I got out of it. When I got to the store I was thrown off by how many meds there were that I read about that would work so I just got some melifix and put some salt in the tank. I have no fish that actually show any signs of sickness right now so I am hopeing this will work and I can move on with my hobby.
No more fish from petsmart!! I didn't want to get any from there anyway. I wanted to get them from live aquaria or live fish direct, but figured i'd be ok with just a few from there to start the cycle.