Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   No idea what to do. . . (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/no-idea-what-do-32779/)

MoneyMitch 11-24-2009 02:09 PM

No idea what to do. . .

So i lost a pictus catfish to ich during day two of half dose treatment. The main tank he came from was treated at full strength for three days. Non of my fish have the little ich spots on them or anything that isnt natrual color to the fish. all water params are perfect, once a week w/c at 25% temp holds at about 80. now my question is after the treatment my fish still rub against things every now and then but i dont know why. others have suggested ich or maybe food stuck in the gills but one fish did it so much that she bruised herself. i dont knwow hat to do..... and honsetly im about at the end with all these complications never thought i would be. please some words of encouragement and advice thanks.

kelly528 11-24-2009 02:29 PM

I am not sure what levels of meds pictus cats can stand, but I do know that you need to treat ich for at least a week if you want it gone... When it's attached to the fish, meds won't kill it but when it drops off to breed thats when it becomes vulnerable. So assuming you have ich parasites of all different ages/phases of the life cycle, you would need to treat for ich until even the youngest parasites have grown up and dropped off the fish to lay eggs.

MoneyMitch 11-24-2009 03:27 PM

heres the thing ever since day one about 2 months ago the fish were flashing. only the pictus had the actuall pimples on it. the directions on the bottle say to do it for three days or untill all the spots are gone...

its a product called nox ich

Angel079 11-24-2009 03:38 PM

The ich 'virus' if you will can actually remain unnoticed for few weeks. Also its possible that your other fish have a milder form of it, that you just don't see and them being healthier then others they'll fight it off themselves w/out you noticing. That's why QT on new fish is advised for about 2 weeks to be sure as far as ich and other sicknesses along these lines.

Just have patience, I know its not cool at all, but you'll get through this!!! Look at me, had picture perfect awesome tanks in all sizes for yrs not a singel issue ever. Now I sart 2 tanks from scratch and I deal with algae, suicidal fish and what not...sometimes its just how it goes in the fish world and its not necessarily your fault or something you can do about it, just keep your head up and have patience, enjoy the holidays and it will get better eventually :-)

MoneyMitch 11-24-2009 11:56 PM

cool thanks, guess ill just keep doing w/c and see what happens all i can say is im done with meds in the large tank it had a negitive efect on my live plant and fish . . . .

Kelso 11-25-2009 12:07 AM

I know how you feel. I just had another two fish die on me this morning. Sometimes I regret starting up the hobby again. But I love my little guys and I'm learning from all this.Ich sucks, but I'll tell you now, you're definitely gonna wanna keep treating the big tank. You need to treat the tank for at least four days after you see all signs of ich gone.

1077 11-25-2009 01:43 AM

I agree with others, Iwould ,were they my fish,my tank,continue the treatment for at least seven days. Product you are using(have used) contains sodium chloride (salt) and Malachite green. Salt no doubt affected the plants or plant. Is why I might have placed the plants in bucket of dechlorinated water as mentioned earlier.
If you want fish to recover,continue treatment for seven days. Run carbon after treatment is finished to remove residual meds. IMHO.

Angel079 11-25-2009 08:36 AM

Did you dose acc to the package or more? Did you use salt as well? Where all your plants affected or just some?

Fishin Pole 11-25-2009 10:01 AM

Mitch, do your fish seem to flash more right after a water change?........or is it the same all the time?.........What is all in the tank?.........plants?.......type of rock?.........any other type of decor?.....Are you using CO2 or other plant ferts?...........Flashing could be also be caused by some type of toxin in the water that is irritating the fish, causing the flashing and since this has been happening since Day 1, i suspect, something in the tank and not your water........Considering it has been going on this long, it has lower the fishes immune system, thus the ich outbreak.....

With the tests kits available in the hobby, we still cant test for everything, so trying to figure it out can sometimes be a real challenge.......I agree with the others, continue the meds for the rest of the cycle and then try to figure out whats happening in your tank.........Doing the PWC's will always help........

MoneyMitch 11-25-2009 11:49 AM

thanks so much for the info, if i add 55 drops every day for seven days and go agianst what the package says my fish will be fine? the water params for the fish are perfect 8.2 ph and hardness off the scale (i keep africans) the ich only showed up on the pictus and i quarintined him that very same day. he ended up dying but im pretty sure i got him outta the main tank before they had a chance to multiply. the temp in the main tank is about 82-83 right now as i read that helkps with ich somewhat and the fish seem fine just a little more aggressive is all. i cant treat for the rest of the week since i gotta go out of town. but that will give time for ich to poip up if i really do have it then i can treat. now does a pleco one of the common ones have to recive the nox ich at half dose?