Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Buying or Building your own tank stand? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/buying-building-your-own-tank-stand-32757/)

abunari 11-24-2009 07:32 AM

Buying or Building your own tank stand?

I have had a 55 gallon aquarium in the past and built my own wooden stand from 2x4's and and a panelled look on the exterior. It has been holding strong for four of five years now. I was unsure of buying the store made ones due to my knowledge of woodworking. all the store ones are either compressed boards or simple pine wood construction. when putting alot of weight on that it makes me nervous!!

I am looking into buying a 90 gallon and can't decide if i want to build another one for it or buy a store one.

any advice would be helpful including brands to not get or get!

thanks

1077 11-24-2009 07:38 AM

Considering the prices of stands, I would if I was able to,, build one. Or perhaps you know someone willing to build one.

abunari 11-24-2009 08:00 AM

Yea, i am really considering it with the cost of stands these days lol. It really isnt to hard unless you go into fancy stuff. all it takes is some 2x4s for the framing and the outside can be just simple pannel board or whatever you want it to be. I am going to shoot for a few drawers on one side and the other will be open for my canister filter. probably make it kinda like the sedona stand with a falt top but still have it set into a framing of some kind.

The key thing though is making sure the framing is 100% level

Angel079 11-24-2009 10:33 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Honestly, built your own...if you're any what like me, you'll shop & shop & shop and just not like any of the stands you see.
I am NOT a carpenter and up till I built had no idea how to use power tools. I can't find my org DYI thread any more here, but attached are pictures what I built for a stand & hood. Stand is made out of simple 1" wood that you generally would buy for shelves with a 3/4" backboard in it painted white. All parts glued & screwed together, edges of the top board are routered, all is stained with a clear coat to prevent water stains and set up & done. Cost for the whole deal (stand, hood, wood, screws, stain etc) were around ~$60, at lest here I definitely can not find a stand and hood like this for the same cost.

WisFish 11-24-2009 10:46 AM

If you have the know-how you should build your own. I don't like particle board so I'd use solid oak. So far I've built entertainment centers, kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanities. My next project will be a stand that can hold a 55gal or 75 gal tank. I'm modeling it after a stand I saw in the store. It's not that hard if you have the right tools.

abunari 11-24-2009 11:41 AM

Thats a great design! what size tank is that a 55 gallon?
I also like the substrate color in wisfish 55 gallon planted aquarium! what is it and where can i get that!
I think i will start working on a design. dont have the tank yet so i need to get dimensions lol.

bearwithfish 11-24-2009 12:43 PM

BUILD your own when ever able... it will be strong and with all the added touches you want for much much less than the junk in the stores

WisFish 11-24-2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abunari (Post 279333)
I also like the substrate color in wisfish 55 gallon planted aquarium! what is it and where can i get that!

I bought that years ago at the LFS. They sold it in bulk by the pound. It was called "Natural Gravel". I'm not sure if they still sell it or not.

Angel079 11-24-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abunari (Post 279333)
Thats a great design! what size tank is that a 55 gallon?

That one from the pictures, yes 55g with abut 2" extra space on each side, 3" extra front & back

Its actually easier (in my non carpenter world anyway) to have the tank first and built the stand based of it, at least gave me better ideas EXACTLY how I wanted it cut.

gatorsfan 01-04-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 279297)
Honestly, built your own...if you're any what like me, you'll shop & shop & shop and just not like any of the stands you see.
I am NOT a carpenter and up till I built had no idea how to use power tools. I can't find my org DYI thread any more here, but attached are pictures what I built for a stand & hood. Stand is made out of simple 1" wood that you generally would buy for shelves with a 3/4" backboard in it painted white. All parts glued & screwed together, edges of the top board are routered, all is stained with a clear coat to prevent water stains and set up & done. Cost for the whole deal (stand, hood, wood, screws, stain etc) were around ~$60, at lest here I definitely can not find a stand and hood like this for the same cost.

Hey man what is that material on top of the hood you made? And how did you mount the lights on the inside? I want a hood like that but I dont want to pay 400 dollars for one. Thanks in advance!