Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Thinking of keeping the fry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/thinking-keeping-fry-32747/)

rsheets 11-23-2009 10:59 PM

Thinking of keeping the fry

OK, I'm thinking of keeping the fry from my guppy that is about to drop. How do I do this? What do they eat?

bettababy 11-24-2009 03:03 AM

The best and easiest way to ensure survival is to move the female to a very very heavily planted quarantine tank, and watch closely for fry to begin to appear. If they can find shelter she won't eat them. The larger the tank the better. Once you are sure she's done or you have enough fry to be happy with a new tank full, move the female back to the main tank.

Breeder cups and nets don't usually work very well, and are extremely stressful for the fish. Just keep in mind that the plants need to be extremely dense. Hornwort, java moss, naja grass, all work well for this.

How big of a tank is she in and how many other fish are in there? What other species of fish?

The fry will eat crumbled flake food if you rub it between your fingers until it is powdered. Because it is difficult to know how much to feed, and fry should be fed twice/day, its a good idea to do a daily water change to make up for the additional waste. This also would be easier in a bare bottom quarantine tank full of dense plants. The bare bottom would make it easier to find and remove the excess food and waste that collect so as to keep the water clean. Airline tubing makes a great siphon for such a thing, and is easy to avoid sucking up the fry in the process.

I hope this helps.

rsheets 11-24-2009 11:30 AM

Thanks Dawn. Right now they are in my 150 gal and I only have guppies in there for now. Waiting to make sure everything is good and cycled before I put more fish in. I'm just not sure how close she is to having them. I think she's pretty close I saw her chasing away the others this morning. But she is still on the top, I'm thinking she should go to the bottom to have them, but I really don't know.

Oldman47 11-25-2009 11:21 AM

Even a 10 gallon is big enough for a fry drop from a single female guppy. I use lots of java moss in my guppy tanks and don't worry about survivors, there are always more than enough of them. Unlike some other livebearers, guppy fry seek the tank bottom and will make good use of decent cover.

bettababy 11-26-2009 03:32 AM

A fry tank is one idea... but please know that whatever you don't get from these fry, just wait another 30 days and you'll have more. If you have just females in the tank you can have fry for up to the next 3 - 4 months without males... if there are males in the the tank, you will likely have pregnant females most if not all of the time.

In that large of a tank, good thick plant work should be suitable. A female will not always go to the bottom to have her fry. She will go where she feels she can hide from the other fish while giving birth. Please also be aware that the female herself will eat the fry if she catches them.

Lots of dense plants where fry can hide is still your best option.

rsheets 11-26-2009 05:29 PM

Thanks. I don't think she is going to survive anyway. I got a disease in my tank and have lost some other guppies. Now she is looking bad, I think she'll die before she has them. I am treating the tank now. I'll have to try again later. So far the 3 neons are the only things that look good, not sure how long that will last. This cotton mouth (type) of disease is really irritating!!