Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Early planning stages of 55 or 75 gallon tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/early-planning-stages-55-75-gallon-3273/)

musho3210 02-12-2007 04:43 PM

Early planning stages of 55 or 75 gallon tank

Ok heres my plan

Ph: 7.4 (might be different with driftwood and CO2)

Fish:
10 Zebra danios to cycle with tons of cultured stuff for the tank (cultured driftwood, cultured gravel, cultured ornaments, cultured filter media)
4 Bolivian rams are added next
3 otos once the algae starts to grow (i am going to try to culture algae in the sunlight with a separate tanks and rocks)
6 panda cories are next
I am pretty sure i can fit more, i like small schooling fish, any suggestion on tetras?

Plant stuff:
one 2 liter DIY CO2 System
2-3 wpg
Corkscrew vals
Java moss
Java fern
Amazon Sword plant
and some other plants, i was thinking of that plant that looks like a banana
I will use 40 pounds of eco-complete gravel and 20 pounds of sand

Filtration:
Either a canister filter or bio-wheel HOB filters
a powerhead with a spounge attatchment

Heater:
TBA

My plan:
Wash gravel etc add water, place plants in desired areas. Let the tank filter overnight. Next day add in CO2 system, let the tank sit overnight. If everything seems stable after all that i will add in 6 zebra danios from another tank and 4 new zebra danios. Add cultured stuff when i add fish. then i start to cycle, i might use some bio-spira if i can get my hands on it cheap. once done cycling add 4 bolivian rams, wait 1 week, add 6 cories, wait one week, if algae grows i will add 2 or 3 otos in there, then add the tetras. All done :)

Criticism is fine here, i like the truth

magic_marty 02-12-2007 05:02 PM

sounds like a good plan to me, let us know if you use bio-spira i am interested to see how well it works out cause i am going to try it when we go up to a 55g.. I have already started building the stand and will finish it this week sometime and hopefully next week get the 55 setup..

Good luck...

musho3210 02-12-2007 05:09 PM

well im not getting my 55 gallon until 4 months..... the more time i have to plan, the better, i think it will be you who is telling me if the bio-spira works :)

i'll get you some oto pics, i already have 2 in my 20 gallon, let me just find some of there pics....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...bluryphoto.jpg

that is my good ol' oto

magic_marty 02-12-2007 05:27 PM

thanks..

nice picture, you must have a good camera, looks good and clear..
are the otos algea eaters or just bottom feeders?

sorry for the silly questions...

musho3210 02-12-2007 06:02 PM

100% algae eaters, they are herbivores so they probably wont eat leftovers, mine dont eat anything i give them, they only eat fresh grown algae in my tank, the dont eat algae wafers and dont eat fresh vegetables, dont feed them meat, its not needed in there diet, they are suckermouth catfish so they suck onto the walls

magic_marty 02-12-2007 07:27 PM

Oh i see, well it would be a bad idea for me to get some cause our tanks show no signs of algea at this time.And if they wont eat waffers it would be sad to see them not have any food so ill wait on getting some of them.

thanks for the info...

tekmate 02-12-2007 07:50 PM

That's a beautiful otto you have. I love them myself, small but they have a personality.

musho3210 02-12-2007 07:58 PM

i read a bit on eco-complete and ive decided not to get it, it seems it is no good for cories, my next question is can i have sand in a planted tank?

Lupin 02-12-2007 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musho3210
my next question is can i have sand in a planted tank?

You can but you also have to stir it frequently.:wink2: Or else you'll end up rotting the plant roots when the sand becomes compact.:blink:

musho3210 02-12-2007 08:48 PM

i made another post in the plants section about the sand and cories and stuff like that